Thread: Crawl Ratio??
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2006, 02:29 AM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Re: Crawl Ratio??

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
Are you saying in an auto the transfer case is not a factor? I just finished some extremely steep mountain roads in Canyonlands (park and area), and in 4-low lock, the car hardly moves downhill, in fact, you have to gas it a few times. In 4-wheel hi lock, it crawls a lot slower than when in 4-wheel non-lock. This was in first or second gear, not in drive.
I have also driven a Jeep manual down the same roads, and with the manual, I had to use the brakes (first or second gear). Granted the H3 has a 4:1 while the Jeep did not, but if I'm reading you correctly, you are saying the t/case has no affect on downhill? That I will dispute, since I have tried all the ranges and there is a noticeable difference.
No, I don't think that's what he was saying.

A lot of times an auto will "free wheel" some or something that seems to give less engine braking than a standard, transfer case remaining the same. I also keep my shifter in first or second depending upon what I am doing and most times first will allow the truck (H2) to ease down but there are steeper situations where braking is required.

The biggest difference between auto and standard is on an actual obstacle. When on most obstacles, rarely can you just crawl up it with out some stoppage and/or re-alignment, etc. This is a big reason why you see so many trucks with their foot to the floor bouncing and banging around.

With an auto, you can easily stop ON the obstacle, hold your brake, get your RPMs up to a higher torque range and ease off the brake to continue. Huge advantage over a standard transmission where you would have to heel/toe drive to accomplish the same.