View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 03:46 AM
Hummer Expert

Hellz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Steering is difficult when turning??

hard to say what the costs would be.

i think most shops chargwe about $80 to $100 per hour for labor

honestly tho, i try to do as much work myself and dont even think of taking it in to a dealership.

the steeringbox is on the drivers side and you can access teh bolts that hold it on through the wheel well.

if i remember, its 3 bolts... forgot teh size. im sure there is a good write up somewhere on the internet on how to remove and replace one tho.

im simplify things too much in my head, so i may make it sound simple, but the job maybe not...

how i think about it is simply remove the old one.
drain all the fluids out.
put new one in
put fluid in and crack the line at the gearbox until fluid starts to come out
pour in more fluid and then start the engine ( helps to have someone help with this ) keep turning the steering wheel left and right and fill the power steering pump until its full.

now, im sure it is a little more complicated than that.. but i think i could do that within 3 hours or so.

for the T bars.. i woudl ask again why he thinks they need to be replaced...
then i would get a 2nd opinion ( your mechanic buddy) and see what he says.

as for replacing them.. i think you can jack the front end up completely.
and unbolt the T bar cross member and slide the T bars out and replace with new ones and bolt back in.

i know there are videos out there on this, as i have seen them. just pay attention to the way the T bars are put back in, and pay very close attention to what is the left and what is the right T bar as they are made to bend in 1 direction only. putting one on the wrong side would be a big no no..

and again.. most parts i get prices on are aftermarket parts, and not AC Delco brand or OEM.. just whats on Ebay or the autoparts store.