Old 01-06-2007, 01:07 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Rear Brake/Axle Groan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfourto
I dont know where to start

Short version ... Dam Fvckin Bullshlt

The GM field rep went for a ride with me along with the service manager.
It was making the noise but not as bad as it usually does(it was raining also)He said something about antilock brakes ,I said the pumps in the front and noise is from rear also Im not braking hard enough to kick in antilocks.I then did a panic stop at 30mph to kick in the anti locks and I said THATS THE ANTILOCKS and he didnt mention that again.
He drove back and He heared the noise but mostly was trying to feather off the brake short of the full stop or trying it at a 10 mph stop.I told him you have to stop from over 30mph for it to be noticable.I also said its worse stoping at the bottom of a long hill.
I also showed him the video on my camera explaining its a lot louder on the outside and said its embarrassing.
Anyway we get back to the dealer and he says he feels its not dangerous it is a Normal charactoristic of the H3 there is no fix he will look into it and bring it up with the enginers at the next meeting in a few weeks.
I said If we went for a ride with any H3 on the lot it wouldnt make the noise,he didnt say anything.
during the ride he did say it was the first time he was in and drove a H3 How can he tell me normal if he never drove one

He did compliment my eclipse system and liked the rear camera.he also liked the clinometer.he was very nice during the ride.

When I asked him what could be done he said wait and see if it get worse also theres a file on it if I had a problem after the warrany ends,I said I cant live with it that long I have 23k on it it its warranty expires at 50K
He said if your not satisfied call the BBB .I said I didnt want to go that route at this point I just want it fixed,He said he will look into it and get back to me.
I asked him was he a service tech in the past he said he was a body tech,I think I know more then he did about mechanics.

More was said but end result was nothing.
I think I will give him a little time to "look into it" I dont have much choice

Im doing a tire rotation in about 1,000 miles at my brothers shop We will inspect the brakes ourselfs at that time ,maybe we can figure it out.

F5
I did get the field reps buisiness card with his name and info I will PM to you,Not sure if you can give any help considering we dont know what the cause of the problem is but your opinion his highly valued.

Hmmm3 I guess its your turn at bat

Im Done for now
GRRR Grrr grrr I feel

I replied, and for everyone else a regional or marketing area service manager is not usually technical. Always try and get a regional service engineer, as the name implies, they are familiar with the vehicle's working.

Ok, let me get off the t/case kick. If it is something in the rear brakes, then the only thing I can think of is a modulating frequency that happens when you harsly apply the brakes, which would make the vehicle sway forward and downward. When the piston inside the caliper is applied it generates a frequency since it is vibrating against the pad. Shims are installed between the back of the pads and the piston(s) to absorb this frequency. Usually, the shim will have some type of lubricant or be made of Teflon.
I'm only guessing here....
but could the lubricant on the shim be wearing off....
could the shim be bad altogether
could there be no shim installed?

On a different angle....
Pads, are also used to absorb the frequency between the pad and the rotor as well as generate the heat to stop the vehicle. A change in pads might solve the problem.

Just some thoughts, and that is all they are.

I guess on a hard stop, a bearing race could even be spinning slightly in the hub. Not sure what they might sound like....