View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009, 03:46 AM
Hummer Veteran

ehaser is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rockford Fosgate Group Buy

Hi guys,

I just got my Rockford system installed tonight on my 06 sut. Unfortunately, I'm extremely disappointed. Even for $500 bucks. The worst part of it is that Fosgate accidentally included a bill to SOMO for a "drop ship" for $250 bucks. That's right $250.. That's what it's really worth. So, SOMO is selling them for 500 (used to be 1100) and is currently paying 250 per system

Needless to say, It's probably worth doing your research before buying instead of going for the best deal.

This system is great for the "younger" crowd who like bass over quality. I've had custom systems during my younger years and I can tell you that the plastic enclosure simply makes the bass too sloppy. It's sounds like a flabby 15" sub. I was expecting the tight sound of a sealed 10" but to no avail. I simply don't think that the plastic enclosure is any better than sticking a subwoofer into a tupperware container and expecting good sound. The door speakers are decent but I decided to upgrade the fronts and throw the fosgates from the kit in to the rear doors.

The sub is simply not crossed over correctly and (maybe mine is defective) there is no separate Subwoofer control. The sub is tied directly into the harness for the door speakers. So if you want to turn the sub down you need to crank the bass setting all the way down. I wish there was a crossover or volume control directly on the Subwoofer! It's either too loud or too "active" .. It's like having a bad exhaust that "drones" while driving on the highway.

I went ahead and installed a kenwood 5120. Since the sub is tied into the rear door speakers I cannot use the separate sub controls on the head unit.. Sucks. So, I had to change the cross over settings for the rear speakers on the head unit which allows me to decrease the frequencies below 80HZ or 120HZ.. Unfortunately this decreases the volume of the lower frequencies but does not cut out the drone of the higher frequencies that seem to hit all the way up into where the "mids" should play.

All in all i'm extremely disappointed in this system.

sorry for the grammatical or spelling spelling errors.. I was typing this while attempting to play with my children.

I hope this helps anyone considering this system. Please give SOMO the benefit of the doubt as my system may be faulty. I'm still not happy with the "fixed" state of the subwoofer amp and it's lack of adjustable volume/crossover settings.

Last edited by ehaser : 01-16-2009 at 03:48 AM.