Thread: Hummer Hatred!
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2005, 07:59 PM
Hummer Veteran

Sharkster is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wilfred:
Sharkster,

A) If you do not get the humor of the story, nevermind. Maybe because you are not here in US so you don't get the BS we get.

B) I don't know which quote are you referring to but I don't see anything wrong with the comparison in general. The 987 in the pic seems to be a non-S so it's a 2.7 liter, right? Real world mpg is what, 20? Comparing it to a H3 which probably gets high teens?

The 996 in the pic seems to be a Turbo and i know for a fact that is a gas guzzler. Real world mpg is 15-16 mpg if driven lightly! A little spirited driving you'll be looking at low teens. And my current 996 GT3 is getting 16 mpg but it has not been broken in yet so it may get better but it may get worse because I haven't even driven it past 4200 rpm yet

The Cayenne Turbo is in the same mpg neighborhood of the H2, if not worse depending on how you look at it. It does have much more hp but it is much smaller. Real world mpg is 12-13

Maybe you are getting much better mileage out there in the autobahn but here in US, real world mpg is not pretty. And that's what most tree huggers fail to realize, many cars out there are getting just as ****ty mpg but for whatever reason, only HUMMER gets the blame

Btw, which porsche forum do you go on, that picture looks familiar? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Great comments... very competent, Wilfred... and yea... you identified all cars correctly. I also identified your GT3-II by the caps on the rims and the GT3-II wing. Great car. I hope you'll take it out to some trackdays... since that's what GT3s were originally built for.

I hang around at 6speedonline.com (my name is "Marx" there... The "Sharkster" guy at 6speedonline is NOT me) and at rennteam.com (my name is Martin J.S. there). I also run my own Porsche911 website (german) at evolution911.com or elfer-club.de.

I'm definitely into cars with an iconic design... which is the key reason why I got into HUMMERs.

However an H1 or an H2 is simply not driveable in German city traffic (some roads are waaaaaay too narrow to navigate anything bigger than an H3 through them). I had a Mercedes ML 320 before I got my H3... and boy am I happy with that ride.

GM is about to introduce the H3 here in Europe officially and I'm sure that it could be huge success since so many of my buddies got bored with the soft streamlined Euro-SUV style (ML, X5, Range Rover, Cayenne etc.).

I was among the first 20 guys to onw a H3 here in Germany... so you know that there is a demand for cubic styled off-road "machos" over here. Mercedes Benz is going to cease the "G-model" production (by replacing it with a bigger ML, called either "G" or "MLX") next month... so except for the Range Rover, no "rough" European cubic styled SUVs over here left.

Iconic cars like the H3 could take GM to new heights over here (where they tried to gain ground without any success in the past), but unfortunately, most European GM-dealers do not realize the chance they get through the H3. Anyway... not my problem.

I'm happy with my H3 (no probs whatsoever during the first 3k miles).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HummerNewbie:
BTW, nice collection of vehicles you got there </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HummerNewbie:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sharkster:
not a real Porsche,... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't throw that statement around because that is what some many say about the H2 and H3 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Well... BOTH... The HUMMER H3, H2 and the Porsche Cayenne do not live up to the original idea the brand was built on. That's a simple fact no one could deny.