View Single Post
Old 02-21-2003, 09:08 PM
\"Hummer\", heh, heh \

\

[quote]Originally posted by SJ:
We rely on Iraqi oil? Your arguments and points are paper thin. Please tell me you can do better than this.

Yes, in my home state, CA, 50% of our oil comes from Iraq and Saudi Arabia. Why do you say that is a "thin" argument?

SJ: "If you think that oil is a fossil fuel that is only found in the Middle East, then there's no hope for a level discussion. Not only are new oil reserves being found below the fossilized layers of the earth's crust, but vast supplies are being uncovered throughout Russia's Northern plateaus."

Who said "only"? It isn't just a question of how much reserve there is, it's a question of what alternatives there are, and how do they compare.

Western countries have a lot more CNG reserves than oil. Ironicly, the middle east has a lot of oil reserves, and less CNG. CNG produces almost zero emissions. Oh, and presently, CNG is also 30% cheaper, mile for mile than comparable gas powered vehicles.

With that in mind, explain to me why we are not only allowing, but encouraging auto and oil lobbiests to set their own fuel efficiency standards that are ruinous for our economy, safety, and security?

-Jason