View Single Post
Old 04-25-2009, 03:43 AM
Elcova Newbie

Viciousknid is on a distinguished road
Default Re: GM: No Dexron VI ATF in Transfer Case

Stumbled across this thread and figured I'd throw in my 2 cents since it was left unconcluded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSUT
I am confused. In one section of the bulletin, it says that if the manual specifies the use of Dexron VI in the transfer case, then disregard the bulletin.
Then it later says do not use Dexron VI in the transfer case.

Huh?
Read the First one first. If your manual says to use DEXRON VI then go by what your manual says and IGNORE everything else listed in the bulletin.

Based on what it says. Your 2nd quote should be IGNORED because your Manual says to use Dexron VI.
If your manual says to use Dexron III. do NOT use Dexron VI.

As Klaus already pointed out. GM Released Dexron VI as a replacement to Dexron III and then realized it would damage parts if used in a Manual Transmission or Transfer Case that calls for Dexron III. The purpose of the bulletin is to make sure you DO NOT run Dexron VI in any manual transmission or Xfer case that requires Dexron III.

As for using Royal Purple. Royal Purples own website has the following note in the Recommended Usage Chart for MAX ATF.

Quote:
Please note: Max ATF is not recommended or an approved warranty replacement for: Aisin Warner AW-1, Ford Type F, Ford Mercon SP & Mercon LV, GM Dexron VI, Mercedes Benz MB 236.12 & 236.14, Shell M1375.4 (ZF 6-Speed AT) and Toyota WS. Max ATF is not recommended for use in any CVT applications.
Dexron? is a registered trademark of General Motors Corporation. Mercon? is a registered trademark of Ford Motor Company.

So if you use Royal Purple MAX ATF in an auto trans or transfer case that calls for Dexron VI you may end up damaging it and voiding your warranty.

Again
The main concern is that you do NOT use Dexron VI in any Manual trans or Xfer case that calls for Dexron III or vise-versa. Just check the manual.
If the manual says Dexron III, use Manual Transmission fluid part number 88861800 U.S. (88861801 Canada)