View Single Post
Old 01-16-2006, 03:20 AM
Hummer Veteran

Dick Renaud is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dick Renaud:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ree:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dick Renaud:
Al this may be a bit of over kill for raw CB, but I have had CBs in many diffent vehicles and building and have found that with a few simple
steps you can get a lot more from your equipment. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn, why does every thing have to be more complicated that I thought it was going in

Dick, thanks for all this good info. Got a follow up question on the CB ground, though. With a mini handheld, where the whole thing fits in the palm of your hand, grounding the radio chassis doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. It's not real practical to attach a ground strap to the back of it. So this just limits the potential of these small radios right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A handheld was not intended to be used in a vehicle and if it is you don't ground it, you make sure that the external antenna has a good ground plane and if you use a 12 volt lighter plug for power find one with an RF filter in line. Most HAM hand helds offer these. Hand helds and vehicles are really not compatable.
I use an Yeasu 7R VHF hand held and mag antenna for use with rental vehicles etc. It works good with VHF repeaters, but CB is a different animal and much more prone to noise in the reciever and poor transmit power and SWR. It is a big comprimise, but better than nothing.