View Single Post
Old 05-16-2007, 09:46 PM
Hummer Authority

tomp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Bilstein / Cognito Hummer H3 Leveling Front Shocks???

The problem I saw with the Truxx kit is that their shock extension lengthens the shock too far. This is due to the type of shock mount the H3 has and not Truxx's fault. There was no way around it. What this means is that you have to crank up the TBs too far to benefit from the extensions. Once you go "Too Far" as you do with this kit, then you bottom out on the other end of the shock too soon.

Now, the problem with these Bilsteins, is that I am not sure how they were able to accomplish longer travel length while using a a shorter body? Well, I can tell you my first thought: The stock shocks have internal and external bump stops. These are mase by Monroe/Rancho for Hummer with these specs, required by Hummer. This basically shortens the travel of the shock and provides protection on both ends of travel range. What I am afraid of, is that Bilstein either did not know or chose not to include the bump stops!

This 2nd paragraph addresses Desert Dan's concern, if using the stock, Monroe or Rancho shocks. I am not sure on the Bilsteins yet - but stay tuned.

Please be patient - I will get some answers when the new shocks arrive