View Single Post
Old 02-12-2003, 06:41 PM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Lack of break-over angle is my biggest complaint with the H2. I won't kid you....when I first saw the H2 I immediately felt that the "skirt" should be lifted higher off the ground!

My buddy has a Toyota Tacoma that has more clearance under the body! not much...but a bit more. The only thing I can say is that our entire belly is protected...whereas other vehicles still have their transfer case, drive-shaft and other such things hanging out.

If you look at the H2, you will notice they did what they could to keep the wheelbase from getting too long: the passenger compartment is pushed way way forward, the rear seating offers juuuuuust enough leg room for passengers, and the cargo area isn't all that long either. You have to figure, if you want a sharp approach and departure angle, then all you have left to work with is the area between front & rear axles....they went with a measurement that was about as long as they reasonably could get away with.

I'm sure they could have pulled the front & rear axles tighter together...but then our butt would hang-out and our front would also extend further forwards (like a disco). It's sacrifices one way or another!

I'm sure you'll be very interested with what it being designed as an "H4"...this vehicle is based on the size of a D90, but will feature gear-driven hubs, CTIS and some huge suspension travel. It's still in design phase...but this vehicle will lack the cargo room and bring to us a true all-offroader. Or in your case, something you don't have to modify as much.

When you get your H2, what do you plan/anticipate doing to deal with getting more clearance. I assume an SFA is in the line of thought...but what else comes to mind?