View Single Post
Old 04-19-2008, 08:02 PM
Hummer Guru

dochummer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is the LR3 a Serious Off-Road Competitor?

12 mpg and 15 mpg are not estimates - they are real world results. My H2 gets 11 mpg and 15 mpg with the same driver...The EPA estimates aren't even close to what you'd expect.

BFG A/T's were run on both vehicles.

Have you been able to find any info on LR3's running the Rubicon Trail in California? Moab info/pics are also pretty limited although I know there are a few S.California guys who have run it. But as far as the Rubicon, I've looked, and sadly haven't found any yet.

Have you driven both vehicles off-road? If you're comparing on-road handling - the LR3 is somewhat more pleasurable in the city and has a much tighter turning radius. Parking is easier and you don't have to worry about roof clearance in parking garages. The highway, well - my wife and I both like the H2 better - especially for family trips/camping. For winter driving, either vehicle is great in the snow. However, I think the stability of the H2 is somewhat better than the LR3 - mostly because of it's track and size - it doesn't get pulled around as much in ruts. It is nice having stability control in the LR3 though. Off-road if you were to compare side by side, the H2 would have it beat. The size of the LR3 is better than the H2, and the traction control is impressive - but, the H2's approach and departure angles make it much more comfortable in more situations.

Yes, I agree you are comparing apples to oranges and the H3 would be a much better size comparison....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3_OWNER
I wasn't dissing the H3, just the H2...which I have in fact driven.

I regularly get 20 mpg on the freeway, so the gas mileage is far superior....forget the EPA estimates; they're not consistent with my experience.

As for the tire and ground clearance and my "circular argument." What I mean is that the H2 is much bigger than the LR3 and that does allow it to go places that the LR3 cannot go. It does not provide better traction or handle itself better over obstacles. That is not a circular argument....but I can see how it could sound like a contradiction. Let me make an analogy here to help you better understand my point. It is like having "weight classes" in wresting. You wouldn't expect a lightweight to beat a heavyweight....but in terms of technical abilty he may still be a better wrestler.

As for the poster that got stuck in the mud....I'd have to know more about your tires (on both rigs) and your driving ability before I can blame the Rover in this case. The size and wheelbase could've played a big role. What tires do you have on your LR3?

'03 H2