Thread: Break Issue?
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Hummer Veteran

algy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Break Issue?

Yesterday was a good time to go to the dealer for warranty service. I had the issue with the brakes as stated and a TPM error that has been bugging me for 2 months now. I printed off a copy of F5's posting that was provided by 442 and explained my problem to the service manager and gave them the attachment. Needless to say, they were very receptive of F5's missive, and provided it as an attachment to the mechs as stated on the repair receipt:

CUSTOMER STATES THERE IS A GRINDING NOISE WHEN COMING TO A STOP
FROM BRAKES AND END OF BRAKE TRAVEL - SEE ATTACHED NOTICE

REAR BRAKE ROTORS HAVE GLAZE SURFACE.
RESURFACE BOTH REAR BRAKE ROTORS AND FILL OUT BRAKE ROTOR
WARRANTY SHEET. SCUFF AND THREAT REAR BRAKE PADS

I did speak with the mech and I tried to hang around in the shop to take photos of the repair to post, he was cool with it, but the service manager wasn't. He did say this is a continuing problem and there had been no notice to recall, but imagines there won't since it does not compromise the stopping ability of the truck and there are not a large number of cases. I'll probably purchase my own 3rd party rotors and pads once the warranty on the truck is out.. I've got 20K miles now and he said the pads are really good and will last another 30K miles unless I really cook'em by towing a trailer and drive the appalachian mountains.

After the repairs I turned the dealership's lot into a proving ground, speeding up to 30 mph and slamming on the brakes. Though I've only been driving under 2 days since the repair, I have not heard the grinding sound.