View Single Post
Old 06-02-2007, 06:07 AM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New tires at 24,000????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmmm3
RYD, what is the penny test? I don't know what the deal is ... earlier this week I went in for new wipers and an oil change. They did a 21 point test and when I was leaving I was given a sheet of the results. There was a comment by the tech to check the alignment. The Service Writer said alignment is usually done at 30K, so don't worry. As I was driving home I noticed the steering wheel turned slightly to the left instead of straight, on a straight road. I hadn't noticed it earlier. I called the Service Writer back and she said they could check it today, and put the new wipers on (sionce they were out of stock when I was in the other day). The tech checked the alignment and said the fronts had to be aligned and tires rotated/balanced. And, by the way, I did have them rotated at 8K .. and now again at 24K. The tires were never below 35psi .. I have an automatic. I asked the service writer why I'd need new 2 fronts at 24k? She said it's a 4 wheel drive and they wear differently. She said it's not unusual to have them changed at 24k. Of course, I came to the forum and I've learned otherwise. Straight street driving, up and down some hills (roads) .. but no off-roading in this H3. Please let me know about the penny test. It's not a joke, is it?

Take a penny a stick Lincolns head in the groove of your tread. If you can't see the top of his head, your tires are fine, if you can see the top of his head theyr'e worn.

Now keep in mind that is a "dated" way to check your tires for wear.

Now a days most tire manufacturers have "wear bars" in the tires, so when your tires are worn you see a bar running across the tread.

If they aren't worn, embarass the guy who is trying to sell you new tires at 20K.