View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Hummer Veteran

pdsq99f4 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: head replaced SECOND TIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck BB62
Perhaps the ninnies should learn how to do a proper root cause analysis? I'm thinkin' it's NOT the heads that are the problems but something else? There's too many high mileage H3s like mine that are getting HAMMERED with no problems. It's not a head design issue in my opinion. I've got 53k (yeah, not much by some folks standards) on our '06 3.5 and believe me, half it's life is spent at full throttle (poor thing needs a little less ass or a little more grunt). No engine problems as of yet.

Neat thing about the little 3.5 is that driven properly, I can exceed 19mpg. But, driven hard, I only get a little over 15. It does indeed reward a patient foot!

Now, if I could just get a set of BFG ATs to last more than 25k!!!!...

Are you a technician? You obviously have never diagnosed or repaired one of these cylinder head problems. The problem is in the valve seats. The intake valves don't seal because the valve seats deteriorate. The updated heads have inserts in the seats. I've replaced probably 400 of these things and only had 1 of the updated heads come back needing another head. The reason yours hasn't had a problem is because you've driven it hard. We've never replaced one on a rental car because we all know how people drive a rental.