View Single Post
Old 09-24-2003, 05:59 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Okay guys....let's wrap this up and bring an end to the festival of hostilities.

I'm really not happy with the way things have developed on this forum or the DiscoWeb. For the record, I have not actually been kicked off the Dweb.....I simply cleaned my computer and removed a bunch of "cookies", the site just doesn't recognize me and I don't recall my password.

They say hindsight is 20/20. In reflecting back I have to admit that openly challenging the crowd seemed a bit over-the-top...but you have to understand the preemptive elements that led to that situation:

I came to that event with the sole intent of perhaps finding a new trail for our group to run AND to just get out and have some fun. I had no other agenda.

Yes, I was heckled, teased and given a hard time about the H2. It was annoying, a bit rude and provoked me a bit. Heck...just after being introduced some guy (Ron???) in the crowd suggested giving me a sticker that read "I wish I had a Land Rover"...and everybody laughed.

The joking continued...much of it done face-to-face as people checked out the H2 (and so Scrover & others may not have been aware). All this teasing didn't exactly promote my keeping a humble composure. I kept it mellow and rolled with the punches.

I went up that hill with only one intent...to get up it and make it safely. I went straight up with no problems at all. When I got to the top it was evident that I would have to be the first vehicle to come back down....and so I turned around and proceeded down.

To this point everything was just fine. They cheered me, I got congrats and all was well.

It was when I got to the bottom that some jerk (Ron??) heckled me by telling me that I had been lucky and that I had taken the easy way up. Okay...THAT'S a freakin' challenge and something I wasn't about to swallow. You say that to me or any other guy and you're gonna get a response.

I turned around and proceeded to repeat my ascent up the right side of the hill. My reference to "tearing" up the hill was in regard to speed and authority...not actual damage to the terrain. I probably had the least impact on that hill that day.

I then turned around and came back down. When I got to the bottom I thought it would be funny (and shut the heckler up) by running backwards a bit. It was quick, brief and maybe 1/3 the way up.

I then got out and asked if anyone else wanted a crack at the hill. Yes, it was (in hindsight) a bit obnoxious. I'll admit, I got caught-up in the adrenaline and was riding on a victory-rush...much like the football player who runs the ball into the endzone.

All things considered, you can't tease a guy a whole bunch, heckle him and then belittle his accomplishment by telling him he was just lucky and took the easy way.

Bottom line: the heckler deserved the attitude and not the entire crowd. What's worse, most the crowd was not likely aware of all the crap I was being given.....and so I can understand the title of....how did Scrover put it....ah yes..."arrogant dick" being bestowed upon me. For the record, I much prefer arrogant Prick....or bastard.

Scrover actually seemed like a real cool guy...he (earlier) waved at me, gave me a smile and greeted me with a deilghtful english accent. I've got no beef with ya Scrov...just please consider the pressure & grief I was operating under. I was really there to have fun, be helpful and enjoy the day.....what I got was less then...well, you know.

As for my "write-up", Alec is right....it's much like a fishing story....I sensationalized it and fertilized it rich with humor. It was an entertaining piece intended to bring home some pride to the home team. We've taken some nasty heat from attacks...it seemed like a triumphant story to enjoy. It's probably not the best read for a diehard LR-fan.....but this is an H2 forum and it's quite tame as compared to some of what I've read abroad.

I believe an understanding of my perception explains much of my behavior that day. I really had no hidden agenda and actually sought to avoid competitive confrontation...some of those Defenders looked pretty fierce!

Doug was, and is, a complete gentlemen. He was very graceful in extending to me an invitation to their event and I appreciated the opporutnity to meet some new people and check-out some fascinating rigs.

I appreciate the backing some of my forum-buddies have given me, but now it seems like a good time to bring to a close the bickering I seem to have initiated. We're all better people then this. As Scrover says....PEACE. For my part I will apologize.

- Steve

[This message was edited by Steve R on 09-24-03 at 01:09 AM.]