View Single Post
Old 11-19-2006, 01:18 AM
Hummer Authority

ssgharkness020147 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brake pad and rotor replacement on H1

Personally, when I do pads I like to do the rotors as well. But if yours are in spec there is no issue in re-using them, just get them machined and deglazed. I'm doing my brakes as well right now, if you choose to do rotors I got a set of Powerslots on ebay for cheap. The powerslots are slotted and so far my truck stops a whole lot better. I paid 159.00 per set from an ebay "store" called TriNet Motorsports. As far as the cracks go look very very carefully for them. From what I have seen of my HUMMER's rotors then tend to get hair line fractures around the rotor in the center running in a vertical pattern. That is what I would look for most, if you do find them replace the rotors.

You deffinetly need to replace the fluid in the T-case, that stuff burns up almost as fast as engine oil. When you drain it out look for color and make sure it is not burned. Most of the time it is brown, but it all depends on when it was last changed and how the truck has been driven since being changed. Use a high quality synthetic ATF in the T-case, I only use Amsoil and it seems to last better then anything else.

You may as well do the diffs as well, while your in there. Depending on the year of your truck (99+) you will need to add a friction modifier. Its imperitive to do so if your truck calls for it.

Have you changed the geared hub fluid yet? If not you may as well knock those out too. For the hubs I use and highly reccomend getting Lucas Hub Oil for them, that stuff is great. It also helps keep the CTIS seals swolen, which will prevent you system from leaking and it will keep fluid from entering your tires. When you disconnect the CTIS quick connects on the tires if you are finding any traces of oil on the connectors your seals are leaking, using Hub Oil can help seal it up.

-007=