View Single Post
Old 10-07-2006, 12:29 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any feel like having a tuning discussion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyHighPerformance
I didn't dyno before and after the tune yet - I'm still tweaking. The biggest thing I noticed was the low end torque and how much faster the H3 pulled out. My opinion only -> There are two major "flaws" in the stock PCM programming. One effects long-term engine durability and the other "flaw" I have never seen before in any other programs and makes even less sense to do this on the H3. The one flaw doesn't exist in the Colorado I5 tune which makes this confusing.

The dealer shouldn't touch the programming unless you tell them to. Unless they really know what they are doing, the dealer won't be able to tell that the PCM's program has been altered (unless they notice the performance difference). Cochran Hummer couldn't put on my mudflap correctly after they replaced my parking brake cable - so I really doubt they can detect a different tune. If they reflash the PCM you can just reload your modified tune or read in the new dealer flash and copy your new calibration tables over (timing, A/F, etc.).

You say one affects long term engine durability, and the other flaw you don't mention. Just curious, what are these flaws and how does one affect long term engine durability?
If these are legitimate, I have no problems confronting Johnny boy, one of the programmers. I do know there had to be different programming parameters for the H3 engine, even if it is used as an optional engine on the C/C trucks.

But I would also be curious to know how your program would be any better, and what long term durability tests you have done. I do know that there are some H3 EX VIN production vehicles running around with over 100K-125K and only problem with one of them was a replaced cylinder head, an issue well known to most of us here on the Forum. (Sorry guys, the ones I have seen have not made the trip outwest to test long term driveline durability; these are engine/trans long term test vehicles. The driveline ones are in Mesa - where I would love to be - or Kapuskasing, Canada - where I would hate to be.)

If, as you say there are flaws, I'm sure the programming people would be very interested in the data that shows the flaws.

As for a dealer knowing if there is a reprogram to the vehicle. I agree, only the top 5 percent of tech would ever know a non-factory program was on the vehicle, and then only if they actually took the time to sit down and think, and even most regional service engineers would not notice the fact if called in for an engine controls problem.

Is it possible to re-flash to the original program if necessary, and then re-flash back to the custom program?