View Single Post
Old 04-11-2008, 05:52 PM
Hummer Messiah

CO Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why is a JK Wrangler So Much Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedH2
Hey CO,

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but to me your tone sounds like you are taking my opinions personally.

Dude......I like the JK's......look at WPage's comments.

I have driven the JK....actually a few different ones, both on the road and off.

As far as risk goes, I know several people with bad-ass rigs that I would guess are more capable than where your JK is now.......that have seriously broken on Pritchett. They were not able to fix on the trail, and had to be dragged/winched out by others, and towed home. I know two people that rolled TJ's on Rusty Nail. I would guess the majority of the new trails opened up to you exist in area BFE, and I have yet to see a JK on Helldorado, although I expect that soon one will put out footage.

Alan for me, the H2 fits my needs. I take my family with me wheeling as often as not, 3 kids under 12 and my little girl is in a car seat. They were forced out of the truck almost the entire trail on Moab Rim. This rig does what I need it to do now. I snowboard a lot in the winter and my kids and I have a ton of gear (it all fits in the two).

If you read what I wrote, I think we are saying many of the same things.

Everyone makes choices based on their own circumstances. For me, it comes down to toys and the funds available. I already have a motorcycle worth more than the buggy I posted above. If I was going to run the Helldorado type trails, I would prefer a buggy. Like I said if I'm towing it anyway.......why not?

I'm not taking your comments personally at all. You are taking my response personally, I think. I'm only commenting on some of the flawed logic. You're a good guy, and I know that. So I'm just commenting since I have a good perspective having owned and driven both rigs on a hard core trail.

I am pointing out that two rigs "completing" the same trail does not mean they are equally capable. I've seen guys with Samurais do GS. Does that mean a Suzuki is as capable as an H2? No way. That, again, would be totally flawed logic. It's a tough trail for a Samurai, and likely for breakage. It's not for an H2 or a JK.

Also...the JK you drove with, I think, is a Sahara with D30s on it. That's not the same as a lifted Rubi with Dana 44s.

Every trail in Moab has caused damage for every single kind of vehicle. I don't really think that's a good barometer. GS is tough for a Samurai. Potato Salad is tough for an H2. Pritchett is tough for a Rubi (assumed, but we'll see), etc. It's all about the relative difficulty compared to the capability of your rig offroad.

Add to that driver skill as well. H2s are made for Hell's revenge. They kill it like it's nothing. But I've seen a dumb-ass H2 drivers like Tower almost kill themselves.

As for Helldorado.......I don't think so for a JK - not Upper. Maybe lower though. I'm interested in trying the lower section.