View Single Post
Old 12-01-2006, 10:41 PM
Hummer Veteran

hmcoleap is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Question for frequent wheelers

Of course it is fun to fix things when you are in the middle of nowhere... that's part of what wheeling is all about

Seriously, though -- I have had idler arms experience some excessive play, and require replacement; but in 140k miles of very rough use, my Hummer has never had one "break" on the trail so that we couldn't drive out. I always carry a spare one (a take off that was worn) just in case, but I have never had to use it. Also, an Idler arm is only held on with 3 bolts, so as long as you have a pitman puller to separate it from the centerlink, it is a pretty easy swap, even if it did break.

Halfshafts, Prop shaft, steering boxes, transmission, transfer case... yes. I've had all of these parts break on the trail at one time or another. But no idler arm failures that stopped me in my tracks on the trail. (Knock on wood)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evomind2
hmmmm...those h/d ones look pretty good to me. if they indeed hold up to more abuse i would be willing to go that route.....i hate failures in the middle of nowhere.
if ur wheelin and something breaks, it cant be much fun fixing stuff if ur in a foot of mud. id still carry a spare though.

-----------------------

/''T''|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**"\)_)

manny(at)serious4x4.com
http://www.serious4x4.com