View Single Post
Old 09-27-2007, 05:23 PM
Hummer Novice

star is on a distinguished road
Default Re: In response to all the global warming threads, who thinks its a myth, or true?

Rely on DDT and mosquitoes will evolve a resistance to it. In the meanwhile, we?ll have rendered many other species extinct. I know it?s typical to maintain that human lives are more worthy than that of all other species residing on this planet but that statement will usually come from someone with an uninformed or ill-informed position on our environment. We need other species to survive. We need them for clean water, for the all of the food that we eat and for the oxygen that we breathe.

The problem isn?t that we?re not using DDT. The problem is that access to drugs remains far too costly to get to those that reside in developing countries that require the protection. My U.S. domiciled friend travels overseas has no trouble affording the anti malaria drug to protect him from this risk.

So instead of contaminating the species on which we rely on for our very existence, we should continue to enforce active, regimented programs to treat those that are infected. The statistics reflect that malaria cases had declined upwards of 89% when antimalarial drugs were prescribed in a "test" province.

I read something similar to the link you posted on DDT. I'm attaching it below. It's the actual WHO link that specifies that due to the hazards of DDT, it's recommended that the compound be used indoors only on mosquito netting and such. The hazards to the environment would be vastly reduced with this method of application.

http://72.14.235.104/search?q=cache:...lnk&cd=1&gl=us

Their disclaimer will help prevent them from being sued for any deaths or health problems with this type of application.