View Single Post
Old 06-21-2007, 11:39 AM
Hummer Deity

h2co-pilot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Some closures are O.K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummBebe
Big Oil fills your H2's gas tank, Big Coal doesn't exist on the West side, but they do heat the East, and Big Wood builds all of our new HUGE McMansions here in California.

If you look deeper, BLM Land in the only land that is use to generate income for the Federal Gov. It is Land that is otherwise unfit for Human habitation, but hold resouces that the US Govenment permits these companies to use. Here in the West, it is very closely managed by the BLM, so that resources are not completely depleted.

There is no Oil drilling in National Forests. They do permit companies like Sierra Pacific Industries to cut trees in National Forests, to keep our Forests healthy.

The articles that CP posted are OLD. 1997, 2000 and the most recent 2006. For the amount of truth in the last article, you may as well be reading the NY Post. It's crap.

All the Land we are discussing here is protected and managed. The trails are being closed so the spotted owl can have more habitat, like 20 million acres is not enough. It's being closed for the Mountain yellow legged frog and for the Valley red legged frog.

Or, they are concerned about sediment getting into the lakes, from a creek that we may cross 3 miles away. Totally bogus.

Most of what BRC has done for Land use has only been since 2005. That may be who they used to be, but their direction has completely changed.

I don't see anything about oil, coal or trees in here.

Whoa. Easy now. You could have just said something earlier.

I just remembered hearing something about them and googling it. The more I read, the more shocking it became. Maybe you are right, maybe that's all they do. Maybe they don't get donations from them anymore, or skeem for those companies.

But it's scary to think that it may be an organization for some of those companies. That they might be doing that behind the scenes.

There is are different motives for some to keep land "public" and not "protected". Small changes in any law can allow land to later be used for logging/mining/development whatever- and you can't have a trail through any of those. It would be public for no one.

Those companies wouldn't donate just for the heck of it. But yea, maybe they stopped. (?)

Quote:
Companies funding the Blue Ribbon Coalition are also involved in intensive lobbying efforts in Washington, DC to advance their anti-environmental agenda, including the demise of the proposed policy to protect roadless areas in our national forests. These companies have spent $46,115,748 lobbying Congress the Forest Service and other federal agencies in during the period the Administration has been working on a roadless area proposal (1997 — 1999), and have had 146 lobbyists on average working on their behalf during this period.

The political action committees (PACs) of companies funding the Blue Ribbon Coalition are also actively funding candidates, having contributed $ 1,833,241 to candidates -- $1,767,416 to current members of Congress and $65,825 to presidential candidates Governor George W. Bush and Vice President Al Gore in the last three and half years (1997 — May, 2000). Top recipients in the House include: (1) Helen Chenoweth-Hage ($42,242); (2) Michael Simpson ($33,500); and (3) Don Young ($33,227). In the Senate the top three recipients are: (1) Michael Crapo ($48,950); (2) George Voinovich ($34,675); and (3) Ben Nighthorse Campbell ($28,500).

And it's not just the "west", it's everywhere.

Quote:
The current draft roadless area proposal prohibits new roads from being built in roadless areas in national forests, including 109,000 acres in Virginia’s forests, but, contrary to the rhetoric of the Blue Ribbon Coalition, does not exclude off-road vehicle use from roadless areas.

They seemed to be on the extreme side, just as ELF is on the other side. Protecting the environment is a good thing. Big companies are shameless, I was looking on the side of caution while the name was brought up.

Sorry it offended you and Alec.

And when I suggested the apparently low task of "picking up trash", I was suggesting what some of us can do. I also mentioned maintence as well and some trails out this way use large equipment for maintenance. Tellico uses huge a huge 5 ton and other equipment for some of theirs - hence Tellico adding the extra $5.00 to the admission fee which you thought was such a big deal here:

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=24758

I am sorry I said something in this thread. I didn't mean for some people to get all schizo.