View Single Post
Old 12-30-2003, 08:41 PM

Drag is off the scale

First I will quote you

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> No, the EV1 was for sale in California. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

and then I quote from GM.com, in the EV1 section FAQs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Why was the EV1 lease only?

Since electric vehicle technology was still developing, a lease-only option created a consistent cost of ownership for the EV1 customer. Saturn covered all routine maintenance and service under the terms of the 3-year/36,000 mile-warranty — this included everything from the batteries to tires. Saturn also provided a 24-hour roadside assistance program to make every aspect of the EV1 lease worry-free <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Profit margin on the Prius is included as profit in Toyota's quarterly earnings statements, however the profit is being used to make up the cost of the R&D to develop the synergy drivetrain. This was accounted for in charges over the last decade, as Toyota developed the technology for a hybrid powerplant. Now that the synergy drive is on the market, it is not generating current profit, but it is making up the cost of development. One day soon, I'm sure it will be profitable.

One of the reasons that Toyota is developing hybrid trucks is the same reason as GM is developing hybrid trucks....There's more of a market for trucks, period. And I shall quote again, and give you a link to follow for the full article.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> GM calculates, for example, that if the nation's 13,000 transit buses were running as hybrids, they would save the same amount of fuel as 500,000 small hybrid cars.

Put another way, the 235 GM Allison hybrid electric buses being put into service in Seattle next year are equivalent in fuel savings to 8,000 small hybrid cars.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Detroit News

Skull & Bones Member since 2003