Thread: Bio-Diesel H1
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2008, 12:13 AM
Hummer Veteran

pdxhummerguy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bio-Diesel H1

Here is the email response i got from American. I am waiting to hear back.

We only have a couple of the left fender well fuel tanks left. The right fender tank was always a problem and with the new trucks it can't really be done since the auxillary tank filler neck, etc. is now in the way.

The left tank hold about 22 gallons & is rhino lined on the bottom surface. We use a fuel pump that pumps the fuel directly into the main tank with an on/off switch run to the dash. The tank fills from a fuel neck that comes out above the left rear tail light (means cutting a hole in you truck & you only get one chance that it's right). The tank fits in a "cradle" using a bracket on the back edge of the fender well and a bracket on the front edge of the fender well utilizing the rocker panel. Consequently our tank "floats" and is not secured to the underside of the fender well as off-roading would rip up the top of the fender well due to the HUMMER"s flex, especiall right there by the front of the rear fender well.

In the past, Terry has expressed that he really doesn't want to sell a "fender well fuel tank kit" outside our shop as no two HUMMERs are alike and installation is always slightly different & interesting on each HUMMER. Additionally, we get the parts (lines, hoses, etc.) we need as we installed so we never really put a full "kit" together. However, I do have some semblance of instructions, lots of pics, and a semblance of a parts list. In the shop we sell the "kit" for $1,800.00 and it's about a 15 hour installation job.

Additionally, to install the tank, we have to remove the catalyic converter, muffler, & exhaust tail pipe that goes up and over/under the fender well and out the back. We install an AMG Exhaust Pipe with Resonator and an AMG Tailpipe (like on the 92, 93, & HMMWVs). These parts run about $900.00. On the Turbo HUMMERs, there are four distinct advantages to doing this (if you don't have state diesel inspection requirements): 1) It's still all AMG exhaust parts, 2) With the Resonator you still get the "back pressure" to protect the turbo, 3) You will finally hear your Turbo whistle, and 4) You will experience increased HP as you're not loosing power through the Cat, Muffler & miles of Exhaust Pipe.

I would have to talk to Terry again to see if he's willing to sell a tank with whatever additional parts we have in stock, pics, & incomplete parts list and instructions. I know you said you have a fab guy, so maybe that will change Terry's thinking about selling a tank "outside" our shop. Let me know & if you're still interested and if so, I'll talk to Terry for you. Thank you.