View Single Post
Old 09-24-2004, 06:39 PM
Hummer Expert

Beastmaster is off the scale

Yes, the 2x6's do come out when you reassemble everything.

The issue at hand is that it's what I would call a missed engineering thought. The heat is exasperated by the use of the Turbocharger. 6.2's and NA 6.5's have not had the amount of #8 issues, so it's everything combined that may have brought it to the edge of the envelope.

AMG and GM realizes that it's a casting issue. It's why Navistar (who makes the current engine castings) redid the strength of that area to handle everything. Most people would have thought to put a coolant hose in those areas, but for whatever reason, it was never done.

As for the truck - they need to drop a bit of cash for the higher than normal mileage. My 1997.5 has only 48k miles on it....and it's a daily driver!

- Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DiscoDuck:

Super write-up! It doesn't look too tricky at all. I assume the 2x6's come out at some point right? (I might have missed that step).

Has AMG ever mad an official comment on the problem and it's potential fixes? Just curious.

As for the PEI hummer... We looked at it but we need a wagon and would hesitate to purchase a vehicle from eastern Canada because of corrosion problems on the metal parts. I was watching one that ended last night on ebay but don't know what a good price would be on it. The auction got up to 37,500 but didn't meet the reserve and on the companies website they have it for sale asking 46,995.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tem=2490048380

Let me know what you think would be a good price for that one. I would be very curious.

Thanks again for the write-up.

Shawn <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>