View Single Post
Old 01-03-2016, 04:06 AM
Hummer Expert

LoJac963 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: LEDs/Bulb Replacement for Traction/Tow Switches

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd
I recently changed my dash over to led, and yes the oem bulbs are not led. I used 3mm bulbs for my climate control and all the switches and 5mm for the Guage cluster.
Such a improvement. When I have time I will do the window and seat switches. Anyone know if these switches are a 12 v power source as well and are they 3mm bulbs?
Btw the steering controls pita lol

Most of the door lights are actually SMD LED's mounted from the bottom of the board firing upwards. 3mm LED's work fine but you have to get very creative with bending the leads and soldering them in. You can get the LED bulb to fit in the holes where the SMD's fired though then just bend the leads and solder them in. Not impossible by any means.

For these controls you'll need a very good solder wick because you need to completely desolder the old lights. If you pull on them at all the contacts on the board will pull off as well-this happened to me. Luckily I could jump the leads from other areas of the board for full functionality. Just be very careful, those boards are not as forgiving as the other boards-say as in the center stack or radio.