View Single Post
Old 04-28-2003, 02:26 PM

SJ is off the scale

I was looking at a 1997 Land Rover D90 over the weekend (with no desire to replace the H2) and comparing it to a new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. Price is roughly the same given a possible discount on the D90.

So my question is:Do you consider one, both, or neither brands to be American?

Jeep has American heritage, but is a Daimler-Chrysler product [German]. The dual HQ structure is now kaputt! Car and Driver and Four Wheeler are among the many media sources that note the increased German influence. The CEO is German, the Board is almost entirely German, and the ultimate decision of which products to produce resides in Germany. Further, the Liberty and Grand will both get Mercedes derived Diesel options in years to come. So the USA is relegated to being an assembler of Jeep products and providing parts/components in seemingly decreasing scope. Ultimately, the intellectual or "brain" input (as some journalists have described it) for Jeep, has shifted from a largely American base to a German affair.

Land Rover has British heritage, but is now a Ford product. So, although this D90 represents a used product [2nd market], the thought of a new Land Rover translates to revenue in the coffers of an American corporation.

Daimler-Chrysler and Ford call themselves multinationals, but I still like to make purchases based on a sense of loyalty and nationalism.

I'm curious to read how other H2 owners view Jeep and Land Rover from an economic and nationailstic standpoint. Last and for the record; I like both marques.
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/smiley...miley-9839.png