Thread: Tie Rod
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2007, 09:07 PM
Hummer Veteran

ChasH3 is off the scale
Default Re: Tie Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Hey ChasH3 you did okay on the trails with that welded tierod? Here's a pic of mine, what do you think this is good enough for the trails? I placed a clamp over the inner and outer tierod to keep it from spinning, because mine broke at the threads my friend who welded it had no choice but to weld over the threads, we couldn't put the nut back on.

I haven't taken my rig over 45mph yet only because I wouldn't want it to snap on the freeway, but everyone is telling me that the welded side is actually stronger than the stock one. I'm missing out on a big run Saturday because of my freakin' paranoia of it snapping it, I dunno man, it's either paranoia or just the fact that freakin' nobody has any in stock - I hope HummBebe does well on Sunday and sends me her spare (hint, hint!)

Thanks

I only ended up running the one trail.. There were some places along the trail that if I would of broke the tie rod again, getting pulled out would of caused some body damage... The bolt that is attached to the outside part of the tie rod, was a bolt I found in town at the local hardware store... Cut the head off the bolt and then welded it to the other half... I drove home on the freeway and never went over 55 mph.... I would use the welded one in an emergency, but I wouldn't continue wheeling with it attached...