Thread: Backup Camera
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2008, 06:35 PM
Hummer Authority

H2Finally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Backup Camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDimitri
How did you run the cable through the visor to the Head unit? I am having a real bugger trying to figure that out? Did you have to do alot of cutting? I have 2 spare 10" monitors I would like to mount one in the passenger side visor but the cable is very thick. It's a combo S-Video and Left right audio, 6 prong plug. Any pointers?

Cheers!
Most LCDs have a short pigtail S-Video connecter. Tie that end to a small wire to feed through the visor opening right below the metal hinge.

The actual combo cable will be routed from behind the glove compartment, up the passenger grab handle trim, into the headliner, out at the corner to the visor and the pig tail mate. Plug together, tape real good, tuck it back into the visor. If the short portion of the cable that's exposed (from visor hinge to corner of headliner) bugs you, paint it tan..

The visor is not too thick. To do all over, I'll look for LCD that's super thin. As is now, half of the LCD's thickness protrude above the visor surface. To finish the cut fabric around the LCD, I needed to dremmel the entire back half of the LCD trim/bezel housing, and keep just the top/surface trim portion. So bezel is halfway the thickness of the LCD.

You'd also want to mount the LCD as low (to the bottom of the visor) as possible, as the top part (where the metal hinge is) requires certain amount of rigidity to maintain the stiffness to keep the visor at an angle.

The plastic insert/sun shade extension in the visor needs to be chopped in half. The protruding end piece is re-inserted back into the visor to maintain aesthetic.

My wife does lament the loss of the mirror. I think I'll get one of those mirrored glass film to stick onto the LCD.

Final result is certainly not oem like the Vizualogic, but very functional and cost only $80 for LCD + $50 spare visor off eBay = $130, instead of a thousand.