View Single Post
Old 10-26-2006, 01:05 PM
Hummer Expert

H3.007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wireless Start-Up?

I just spoke with the dealership from which I bought my H3. They told me they are very, very wary of remote starters as they can damage or interrupt proper computer system and systems communication on the H3s and many other vehicles. Their response is below:

"I distrust aftermarket remote start systems - period.

Over the years, I have had bad experiences with them both in malfunctions of the units themselves, and collateral damages that they can cause. If one of these systems were to damage any other system in your vehicle, your warranty would be void on that system. Furthermore, if there is even the doubt that the remote start system caused collateral failure your warranty of that failure would be called into question.

Additionally, if you were to defeat the factory theft system in order to make the aftermarket remote start system function (as most of them do) there may be insurance ramifications if you vehicle were ever stolen.

Overall these are my feelings. Although the remote start feature is sure convenient (especially in the winter months) vehicles have become so advanced that any ?foreign? system becomes an unwelcome system (as it does not play well with the others). Your H3 speaks across a class 2 data line where all of the modules (read- computers) ?speak? to each other and ?handshake?. Just as if in a verbal conversation with a group of people, you would not be able to understand someone speaking Mandarin Chinese."

This guy has been very helpful in the past. Is he being overly cautious or is there real concern here? I'd hate to blow the warranty.

Thx!

Last edited by H3.007 : 10-26-2006 at 01:09 PM.