View Single Post
Old 09-03-2013, 08:41 PM
Hummer Authority

guruerror is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 6.2L & 6l80 Power Uprades

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryaleon
This is all great info. I will most likely regear. What do I need to know about this? Is it too much for a home mechanic to do? Where can I get parts?
I got mine at Trail Duty: https://www.trailduty.com/index.php?...c27c864fc4998f

You'll need the fronts, rears, and an install kit.

It's hard for me to comment on the install since I had the shop do mine, but I think if I had the 'time' on my hands and knew that I had the appropriate 'tools' that I could have done them; there doesn't seem to be anything obvious that jumps out at me as being super difficult. Surf YouTube for instructional vids on swapping gears in a H2/2500 4WD or similar...that should give you a better idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVR 155
Stock GM tuning leaves quite a bit on the table, I would love to tune my truck but I have a GMPP major guard for another 2.5 years that I don't want to be voided. Check out Nelson performance, highly recommended for GM trucks.

Another thing..... for the guys with the 2003-2007 trucks suggesting 4.88 gears..... The 08/09's stock have 3.73 gears vs. 4.10's that come in the 03-07's. That is a major jump in gearing for a tire that is only about 2 inches taller and will certainly have you turning some high RPM's on the highway. Going from a 3.73 to 4.88 will have you going from about 1700rpm on the highway to over 2200 (assuming approximately 75mph). The 6L80 also has a very steep first gear ratio of 4.027 which could make for some jerky driving at low speeds. Before jumping up that much I would see if you could talk to someone who has done this in a 08+ truck.
Which is why I recommended the gear calculator (http://www.4lo.com/calc/geartire.php) it'll let him compare various combinations to stay with a stock final ratio and keep the truck in it's powerband.

Last edited by guruerror : 09-03-2013 at 08:45 PM.