View Single Post
Old 05-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Hummer Novice

nWo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Question about part in Hummer ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKofJustice
I don't have pictures, but technically speaking you can run the truck without the air intake stack and the filter. Your engine wouldn't last very long, the filter canister keeps sand, dirt and dust out of the engine intake and turbocharger.

The air filter can is huge, like a big truck or construction vehicle because the H1 is designed to work in dusty/dirty environments. That's why the air filter is two to three times the size of most other trucks/suv's air systems.

The intake mushroom/snorkel is less critical. It acts as sort of a prefilter to keep the big stuff, like snow/mud/dirt from getting into the filter system. The snorkel isn't super useful for water fording, because there is a duckbill/dust trip on the bottom of the air filter can. [military humvee's have a sealed can and a lever to seal the venting system for the driveline] If you sit in deep water for too long, water will get in through the air filter and you'll hydrolock your engine. If you bend a connecting rod or crack the block you're looking at a rebuild or replacement.

The gasoline H1's have 2, one on each side which is kinda odd, I did a double take when I checked under the hood of a gas h1.

Thank you for the explain