View Single Post
Old 04-23-2007, 10:53 PM
Hummer Authority

BlueHUMMERH2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1994 HMCS Project

Well, the Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound worked, but without very visible results other than creating a red-tinted applicator pad.

So I dug around in my bin of detailing supplies, and found the Mother's Power Ball that I use for the H2 rims. I decided to try that on the rims, but all the bolts foiled any attempts. I put the Meguiars Step 2 Polish on the Power Ball instead and started with that on the paint. I figured it could make 10,000 passes over the spot as compared to my 100 or so in the same period of time. It actually worked great, and the polish buffed out a lot of the scratches. I was really happy with the result. I will probably go back and do the side that I've already finished and redo it with the Power Ball.

Here is a picture of the side that is finished in the sun:

Still too many scratches. I hope to remove those more with the Power Ball:

I have the hood to redo yet, and I began working on the roof but it was still too hot so I decided to come in and make dinner while it cools in the shade.

The truck, IMHO, looks pretty awesome! It's going to be badass with a repainted roof rack, and once I get the rims cleaned (which I started to do). It's going to turn a lot of heads. I should perhaps think about taking it to some local car shows when the hood is fixed up.

One problem that I will have to remedy is that the door hinges are rusting rather badly on the drivers side. I think that I will remove them if it gets much worse, and paint them black to match the rims. I think matching the hood to the paint is going to be hard enough, and I know the hinges would probably really show if they mismatched.

I think that I have at least 20 hours into the truck so far. Maybe 25.