View Single Post
Old 08-01-2006, 06:38 AM
Hummer Expert

evldave is off the scale
Default Re: Buying new pistol, need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETD
Questions for Eldave. What makes you think that you can get a shot on target at a mountain lion that has been stalking you as you are backpacking about, enjoying nature? A bear can run at what, 10-12 mph? I supposed that a Grizzly will give you a moment to get a shot off as it is trying to warn you off but a hungry black bear looking for food? What about taking the time to learn about bear behavior, mating season, roaming habitat in order to avoid running into them? Not telling, just asking out of "ignorance".

I don't know if I'll be able to guard against mountain lions. Only if I'm lucky to see them first (that's what dogs are for, and they have growled for no reason in the woods, mountain lion or not, I'll rely on them for early warning).

Bears can run 30+ mph. But typicaly bear behavior is to pose/posture, rear up, growl, then fake charge, then full charge. Unless you come upon them while feeding, and you are being an idiot by not making noise, you will have enough time to be ready.

I'd say I'm very familiar with bear territory (weeklong bike trip, separate backpacking trip in Alaska, backpacking for 6 weeks in Montana, backpacking through Glacier & Yellowstone, North Cascades, plus a run-in live w/a black bear while pheasant hunting near Yakima, WA). I rarely go out in bear country w/out sounds, whistling, dogs, etc. My preference is to avoid contact at all costs, but when it does happen, I don't want to have to worry about it. I shouldn't be stupid enough to come up on a bear feeding, since hopefully I'll have done everything to not put myself in that situation.