View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 09:37 PM
Hummer Veteran

GasGuzzler is off the scale

Hi All

My rig: 2003 H2 with 46,XXX miles.
Problem: SERVICE 4WD keeps showing up
Attemps to fix by dealership: 3 w/o success

The Pleasanton, CA H2 dealership attempted to fix the problem 3 times without success. The first attempt was to replace a faulty TCCM or Transfer Case Control Module according to the code reader. That costs about 700 big ones and the problem came back afetr a day. The second attempt was to replace the 4WD buttons on the dash. Again the problem came back in 2 hours after picking up the truck. And the third attempt....well, the rig sat at the dealership for 2 weeks and nothing was done to it. My wife continued to drive a rental 05 Durango courtesy of the dealership.

Well, we finally got tired of bringing it back and having to drive some lame-o Durango for 2 weeks. I broke down and called the Corporate Hummer Customer Service. These folks are pretty responsive. I have requested a Field Engineer to look at the problem. After about 1.5 weeks of ping-pong-ing back and forth with Hummer, they finally sent an engineer to look at the problem. And BINGO!! The Field Engineer ID'd the problem to be the wire connector leading to the TCCM. Apparently when the TCCM was replaced initially, the local mechanic messed up the connector and bend some of the pins the wrong way. BAD connections were made between the central computer and the TCCM thus the "SERVICE 4WD" message keeps showing up.

Q: What have I learned?
A: Get a second opinion or third or fourth....

The truck has been problem-free since we picked it up about 5-6 weeks ago. Kudos to the field engineer who ID'd the source of the problem.