Thread: winch
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2005, 01:58 PM
Hummer Veteran

RonB is off the scale

the warn (stock) winch is very nice, however it adds several inches the the length of the truck and your front approach goes from near 70 deg to 47 (according to the manual). It's also expensive (but one can't really put a price on a quality item that will save our butts in a pickle).

I bought the E-12000. It's a much smaller winch so it tucks between the frame rails behind a cool front bumper mount MileMarker makes. It's also much lighter than the Warn. The E-12k with it's bumper mount weighs roughly 135 lbs (in contrast the Warn with it's mounting/hardware wieghs 162 lbs). The stock bumper/skidplate combo that is romoved is about 25 lbs, so with the MM you add about 110 lbs to the front of the truck (I use Amsteel synthetic and a smaller fairlead and knocked another 38 lbs off the front of the truck). I didn't want to change my front springs (or lose a limb if the cable snapped).

I had to grind down some brackets to make the winch fit, and the control box is a bit wanky (plus there's nowhere to put it). On the HML alot of guys put theirs on the battery hold down bracket, which is what I did. I temporarily put my control connector in the wheel well on the battery shield until I find a cool place to mount it in the truck and/or near the ctis pump.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse you as much as I was re-reading my post. If no one has pictures of this I could snap a few, but there's really nothing special about my set-up -- I just followed what others had done.

Ron B