View Single Post
Old 05-31-2005, 02:58 AM

skeeter is off the scale

OK, I pulled my boat today. Here is my review on trailering. Trailering is important to me, I like to fish, and I also have a 10ft cargo trailer I use at my store about once a week. The trailering package was a must for me. My bass/walleye boat is a deep v boat, so keep in mind its big, and tall. My boat is 18.5 feet long, and it weights about 2400 lbs with the trailer. I have been wondering what amount of (drop) I would need in a receiver hitch, as the H3 is up pretty high. I already had an ajustable one I could use to try different settings. I won't use the ajustable one for good, because they are to bulky, but it worked great to determine the best drop to use. I like a 4 in drop reciever hitch, it gives you a level pull with your trailer. The H3 suspension was great, as you can see from pics, no squating at all. Also with the suspension, it had a soild pull feel, no rocking, or bouceing, and braking was very good as well (I do not have trailer brakes). Now for the power side. As you all know by now this H3 is not a jackrabbit, so this was a concern for me. From a dead stop on level ground it got up to speed in about the same amount of time as it does with out the trailer. Yes it does sound like it is haveing to work a little harder, but it does the job. On hills the H3 will down shift in order to maintain a set speed, but once again no big suprise. I was able to maintain my speed. If you are in a lot of hills you will want to leave the H3 in 3 gear, and I would not use the cruise control either, it will try to shift into 2nd gear sometimes with the cruise on going up a hill. The cruise is fine on flat sufaces. All in all it gets the job done. It is not a power house, but I don't pull with it everyday. Don't get me wrong Im sure if I was tring to pull 4500 lbs with it, it might be a strain for it. But I would say that most of us will pull a boat, jet ski, popup camper, or a ATV trailer with it with out a whole lot of problem. I will post a few pics for you.
Attached Images