Thread: Door Rattle
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2005, 03:01 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPULA:
Same here. Both driver and passenger doors rattle like crazy. The upper right and left corners where the outer molding meets the inner. Dealer says they can't do anything about it. Anyone have the issue corrected by a dealer? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dealers; love 'em or hate 'em.
Any rattle on any vehicle can be fixed. It might require removing and replacing the door panels a few times, but with the use of the following great inventions, any rattle or knock CAN BE fixed.
1. Velcro-Not only used to attach two parts, the softer piece can be used to stop rattles and knocks by adding a fill to the area that is rattling. Also great to stop itching between two plastic parts (especially in the colder months when the plastic contracts).
Used together, it can hold two parts to prevent them from rattling or knocking.
2. Dense cell foam-Another great product to shove between two different parts to prevent them from rattling or knocking. Even make this stuff with adhesive on one or both sides.
3. Two-sided tape-Used the same as dense cell foam, but a lot thinner.
4. Tie-straps-Harness rattles are common, just tie-strap the harness to a door frame brace.
When using any of these items, just make sure to verify the part will not interfere with window, or door lock rods operation.
5. 3M Anti-Itch Tape-Placed between two pieces of plastic, will stop that horrible itching noise common when two plastic parts meet. (Thinner than the Velcro idea, and just as effective.)

My Hummer is rattle free; thought I had a rattle in the back, but forgot I had two cans in that little compartment, and they were the reason. My 2003 Vette, had rattles in both doors and a buzzing when the bass speaker hit the low ends. Took a few times to remove and replace the door panels, but after about one-hour, all problems were solved.

I won't tell you to fix rattles and/or knocking yourself, since I believe the dealer should be MADE to repair the problem under warranty. But sometimes, at least in my mind, it is better to fix minor problems oneself. Keeps my blood pressure under control, due to not having to feel like I should cleanse the gene pool by making some ignorant dealer representative disappear.

<span class="ev_code_RED">LET ME ADD A CAUTION:</span>
If you have side air curtains, and you do decide to mess around inside the door, be careful of the side impact sensor, located toward the bottom of the door. Also, be cautious of any <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">YELLOW</span> connectors; since <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">YELLOW</span> connectors denote SIR system.