View Single Post
Old 09-03-2007, 05:48 PM
Hummer Veteran

Grizzy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Magnacharger supercharger and air intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2BRUTE
Grizzy, I noticed you changed the air intake filter box to a Volant..How does this compare to the stock air intake, since the s/c just mounts to the oem one normally?? I.e. Do you feel you get added performance?

--It's all about air flow--
I did the airbox the same time as the s/c so I really have nothing to compare as far as before/after tests. Honestly, I'm not sure how the volant will add anymore air volume compared to the factory air box; only because I inspected the factory box after removal only to find that the two are practically the same, only a new k&n type oil coated filter that comes with the volant. However, changing the filter, whether you put it in a fancy looking volant box or not, is a definite plus. The new filter should allow more air flow, which should directly affect the performance of the s/c. (whether you go with an oil-coated filter or not has been up for debate.) Also, you should have a good open exhaust system to allow the air back out. Technically, to get the most out of the s/c, you should change your entire exhaust system from the headers back, but not a must. I opted not to get the headers, atleast not yet anyways, until I find out a little more about costs vs. actual performance increase. There is nearly no limit to how much you can spend for every little percentage of performance increase you actually gain. For now, I have a magnaflow muffler which opens the exhaust up quite a bit over the factory muffler. Although I'm still running a factory catalytic converter which is pretty restrictive. The s/c, air box, & muffler was my first step. I will have plans for more upgrades at some point and I'll keep you posted.

Can't wait for you to get your s/c installed. I know you'll love it. I'm excited for you! =)

Grizzy