Thread: Tire research
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2006, 07:14 PM
Hummer Professional

Hunner is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tire research

Im just thinking outloud and maybe somebody with better math skills can look this over.
I stand corrected that big ole 35 in BFG M/T is only 1.7 bigger overall and only .85 bigger in height not a full inch. It just changes your gear ratio, speedo, shift points and fuel calibration and acceleration. I know they fit cause a bunch of peeps gottum. In fact after seeing all these figures they are not enough bigger to make much difference in clearance.
BFG 35 is 34.8
Mickey Thompson 33 is 33.1
1.7 inch diff. divided by 2 is .85?
At 55 reads 57 mph which changes your odo
shift points and fuel calibration?
To get same gears you would have to drop down to 4.794.
Heck I thought they were really 35 inches and would have issues with clearance in extreme suspension articulation and mud build up.
Rim size seems to also have an effect not easily measured. Like squeezing a 34.8 tire made for an 8.5+ rim down to a 7.5 should change the footprint some. Would this also make the tire crown in the middle of the tread? When properly inflated do the edges touch the road? Hmmm
Even more facts the Mick Thompson 315 is actually 34.6 so even less difference, Im going wheeling and fergit about it! Gotta break um in!
Traded 06 I-5 for 08H3 ALPHA/Adv,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn 9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner rear/shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola rack,2GoLights,Hunner steering gear mount,Purple Cranium diff guard,BulletProof tie rods,ARBsnorkle, SyKlone prefilter,Hunner intake pipe.

Last edited by Hunner : 12-10-2006 at 10:43 PM.