View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 05:14 PM
Hummer Authority

kacyk is off the scale
Angry Need Advice - Contractor is Screwing Me!

Some fo you may remember that we started to build a vacation home in Leavenworth, WA about 14 months ago. We purchased a great fiverfront lot and purchased a PanAbode Log Kit and engaged in an agreement with Coho Construction to provide the labor to build it.

Unfortunately, the deal with the contractor was doen on a hand shake. I do have supporting documentation where I gave him my spend down (from the original budget) every time I paid him. Unfortunately (again) I pre-paid him to do the work.

14 months later, the exterior is still exposed and the roof is not on (and snow is here!). He basically walked off the job stating that he needed more money. The original scope of work was for excavation, foundation, putting up the house (siding, roof, deck, everything), mechanical, septic, electrical and plumbing.

The bastard has $132,000 or my money and is asking more! All materials were provided on site by PanAbode. All he was supposed to do is provide the labor. Currently I have two liens against me from subs and he is asking for $40,000 more to pay off subs and the rest for him. Additonally, none of the septic, mechanical, electrical or plumbing work was done. The hosue is an empty shell still. I actually had to contract with another guy to make it air tight for the winter and put on the roofing materials, set windows etc.

I admit, I was stupid not to get a contract and prepaying was stupid. But there's a lot to that story which I won't bore you with.

My question is do I have any rights? If so, what can I do? I could get a lawyer but I was wondering if there is anything I can do by way of going after his contractor's license, etc. We just moved to Tampa so I'm 3,000 miles away from being able to take a bat to his head! You can't imagine the rage I feel!

Any advice from an experienced builder, contractor or developer would be appreciate it. Including the land I have $550,000 cash rapped up into this deal. We're still planning on using it as a vacation home but I nee to get this builder off my back and these liens. I'd also like to go after some of my money because he didn't finish what he promised but my documentation there is weak.
2006 Black H3 LUX + Off Road (Sold)
2003 Yellow H2 LUX (Sold)
2003 Pewter H2 Adventure (Sold)