View Single Post
Old 04-05-2007, 04:12 AM
Hummer Expert

Huck BB62 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Alpha information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal
if you want the best H3 for off road performance the Alpha is not going to be it! The lighter weight I-5 with manual 5-speed and adventure package would still be a better choice. More power, cast iron front diff and extra chrome are going to somehow do better than a nimble 5-speed with an awsome crawl ratio? sorry, I'm not sold on this one yet.

Just to play devil's advocate: Aside from the chrome worries (I could take or leave it), the Alpha will be superior.

Yeah, the cast iron front diff is necessary.

Figure in the torque converter and the 5 speed's crawl ratio isn't any better than the auto. The V8 may even have better engine braking. As it stands, the little 5 cylinder hardly engine brakes the heavy H3 at all. The superior torque of the V8 will more than make up the slight difference in gearing.

If that argument be the case, why not slip in the little I-4 from the Colorado, wouldn't that be better than the I-5 (being as how it's lighter and more nimble and all that... )

About engine weights.... there's hardly a difference. People on here put more crap on the front end than that like winches, steel bumpers, brush guards, hi-lift jacks, compressors under the hood. The H3's heavy already, a hundred pounds isn't worth whistling about.

I towed home my new trailer with the brush hog in the back. I had to flog the crap out of the poor thing just to get it up the mountain. The way the fuel needle was dropping because of the wound out 2nd gear driving, I bet it's just going to be lovely at the pump.