H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 01-08-2008, 10:55 PM
Hummer Veteran

sanfoja is on a distinguished road
Default H2 Newbie Questions

Okay, after years of lust finally got my H2 (I got one of the first civilian licenses to drive a military HMMWV back when I was a coop student (1985) with the DOD in Huntsville, AL and have been hooked ever since).

I bought a 2003 Burgundy w/33K miles, Black Powder Coated wheels, black grille and smoke roof lights are on the way let the blackout begin (you can tell I'm not a chrome guy).

Now, just picked it up on Saturday in South Carolina (drove 400 miles each way) and have a few questions.

1. There is a small "speaker" just above the driver's seat (in headliner) that constantly buzzes...what is that and how do I make it stop?? Assume the other small protuberance just in front of the driver in the headliner is the mic for On-Star/Phone.

2. Passenger side mirror operates fine but does not fold in...heard this may be a programming thing. Anybody familiar with that problem, and along these lines can I install the new 2006 style side mirrors on my 2003 without much trouble??

3. Lastly, the A/C makes quite a bit of noise (coming from the dash), sounds like fluid expansion and flows somewhere in the dash. Is this normal or does this indicate something amiss, cools fine once on.

4. Has anyone installed a 2006 Touch-screen Nav/Radio in a 2003 and if so, any problems or suggestions?

Thanks much!!
Joe
2003 H2 Adventure, Burgundy
Old 01-08-2008, 11:13 PM
Hummer Guru

Adam in CO is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: H2 Newbie Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfoja
Okay, after years of lust finally got my H2 (I got one of the first civilian licenses to drive a military HMMWV back when I was a coop student (1985) with the DOD in Huntsville, AL and have been hooked ever since).

I bought a 2003 Burgundy w/33K miles, Black Powder Coated wheels, black grille and smoke roof lights are on the way let the blackout begin (you can tell I'm not a chrome guy).

Now, just picked it up on Saturday in South Carolina (drove 400 miles each way) and have a few questions.

1. There is a small "speaker" just above the driver's seat (in headliner) that constantly buzzes...what is that and how do I make it stop?? Assume the other small protuberance just in front of the driver in the headliner is the mic for On-Star/Phone.

IT'S THE TEMP SENSOR FOR THE CLIMATE CONTROL. SHOULDN'T BUZZ. MAYBE YOU HAVE THEM BACKWARDS. MINE BUZZED FROM HAVING A LOOSE MIC CONE.

2. Passenger side mirror operates fine but does not fold in...heard this may be a programming thing. Anybody familiar with that problem, and along these lines can I install the new 2006 style side mirrors on my 2003 without much trouble??

DOUBT IT'S A PROGRMAMING ISSUE. YES THE MIRRORS CAN BE CHANGED OUT. NOT IT'S NOT EASY. OR CHEAP.

3. Lastly, the A/C makes quite a bit of noise (coming from the dash), sounds like fluid expansion and flows somewhere in the dash. Is this normal or does this indicate something amiss, cools fine once on.

GOT ME.

4. Has anyone installed a 2006 Touch-screen Nav/Radio in a 2003 and if so, any problems or suggestions?

GO WITH AN AFTERMARKET ONE LIKE THE ECLIPSE IF YOU'RE GOING TO SPEND THE MONEY.

Thanks much!!
Joe
2003 H2 Adventure, Burgundy

Old 01-09-2008, 01:55 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMTECH is an unknown quantity at this point

The "small speaker" is the inside air temp sensor which has a small fan inside, if its making noise you need to replace it.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:57 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMTECH is an unknown quantity at this point

Didnt read adams reply, hes bang on. Same as me with the ac issue, no idea.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:28 AM
Hummer Professional

H2R is on a distinguished road

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

For the mirrors I changed mine.
1974 Corvette conv. (454ci)
31ft Gulf Craft Boat
Old 01-09-2008, 05:59 AM
Hummer Veteran

Thansks to all for the info, and much thanks for the link.

Found out the correct term for the "sensor" is an aspirator Part#25771194, just ordered one from All Discount Parts. 1/2 price compared to local dealer! Good price on mirrors too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2R
Old 01-11-2008, 09:58 PM
Hummer Veteran

FGHT ON is on a distinguished road

No problems with changing out the touch screen nav but it is a bunch of work. I did it to my tahoe before my wife totalled it and then I got to get my dream so not all bad. You have to re-pin the harness (instructions all over the web, just do a search) order the GPS locater for under the dash, you have to upgrade the amp to the bose lux edition and then have it all reprogramed at the dealer to make the sound run out of the speakers. It is a bunch of work and money. You are better of going with the aftermarket!
Old 01-12-2008, 07:25 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGHT ON
No problems with changing out the touch screen nav but it is a bunch of work. I did it to my tahoe before my wife totalled it and then I got to get my dream so not all bad. You have to re-pin the harness (instructions all over the web, just do a search) order the GPS locater for under the dash, you have to upgrade the amp to the bose lux edition and then have it all reprogramed at the dealer to make the sound run out of the speakers. It is a bunch of work and money. You are better of going with the aftermarket!

Thanks! I was thinking about using this guy on Ebay, $899 gets me the complete package w/antenna and programmed for my H2. Already have the Bose option so good to go there. Really like the look of stock over aftermarket. Can get Ipod integration from this guy too. BTW, love the Slate Blue H2s...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Escal...QQcmdZViewItem
2003 H2 Lux/Adventure, Burgundy, 37x12.5 MTRs on Matte Black Wheels, Smoked Cab/Running Lights, 07 Mirrors, Jet Stage 1 Chip, Volant CF CAI, AirRaid Intake Tube, Bi-Xenon HID, DRL mod w/diode, 2006 TNR, Matte Black Linex on Grilles & Front/Rear Bumpers, Ram Offroad Brush Guard, Rancho 9000 Remote Adj shocks, Rancho 5000 Strg Stab, FFD Ultra Extreme Electric Fans, Moog Pitman/Idler w/Cognito Support Kit, Kryptonite Tie Rods
Old 01-12-2008, 08:09 AM
Hummer Professional

H2wifey is on a distinguished road

Good Luck with the new rig and welcome to the forum
Old 01-12-2008, 05:26 PM
Hummer Veteran

FGHT ON is on a distinguished road

If you already have the amp upgrade then it's no problem. You still might have to re-pin the harness, you will just have to wait and see. If you do, instructions are all over the web. As for the ipod adapter, again search google b/c there is some input cord for the back that is super simple (I never did it to my old one but I remember seeing the instructions and everyone mentioning it before).