H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Who carries the spare tire?
I carry the spare tire 49 70.00%
I don't carry the spare tire 21 30.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2005, 04:31 PM
Hummer Professional

89vette is off the scale

I do not carry mine unless I am going on a trip. If I take it to the beach, I strap it to the roof.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:55 PM
Hummer Veteran

kdio is off the scale

I have carried mine on the rear tire carrier for 2 years with out incident. Two weeks ago I hit a piece of metal in the road, and distroyed a brand new tire, put a 4 inch slice on the side wall. I was glad I had the spare.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:38 PM
Hummer Veteran

Navigator is off the scale

I never leave home with out it

Mods & Pics

Old 01-18-2005, 01:46 AM
Hummer Expert

Dug is off the scale

I took the spare tire out as soon as i got the truck. It was taking up to much space and visibility. I have traveled from maine to florida for the past two years and havent needed it. I'm leaving for vacation again in feb and think i better bring it. I have 60,000 miles on the original tires . Does anyone know of a simple roof carrier out there? I also have the luggage box mounted on the roof which makes it a little more tight for space. Thanks Doug
Old 01-18-2005, 02:03 AM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

Doug,

I have the SMA carrier and it seems to work OK. I also have a Gobi but my wifey likes the SMA look better.
Attached Images

My Video Collectionez

Old 01-18-2005, 02:07 AM
Hummer Guru

ROX is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 89vette:
I do not carry mine unless I am going on a trip. If I take it to the beach, I strap it to the roof. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You "strap it to the roof"? Do you lift it up there yourself? Holy Crap!! Please include a photo of that.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:05 AM
Hummer Professional

89vette is off the scale

Yes I did it myself. I won't be doing it again until we go to the beach in June. I put it on the roof behind the rear roof rail. You have to move the rail forward a little. I also have a Kanga roof pouch to stuff with all the vacation beach garbage. We stay in North Carolina on the outer banks. You have to drive up the beach 10 miles to get to the house. During high tide it can be rough because you have to drive in the soft sand and there is many ruts. Come to think of it, I do have pics from last year with the tire on top. I'll post them when I get back.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:17 PM

LasVegas is off the scale

Received my rear tire carrier yesterday & installed last night. Easy install & no drilling. Very quality product & cost effective @ $740 total for carrier & cover including shipping. Thanks to kacyk for putting me on to this product. Here's some pics & do you think people get the idea where NOT to park at my office.
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2005, 05:22 PM

Parking. Sorry for the "pavement" shot DRTY
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2005, 08:49 PM
Hummer Guru

ROX is an unknown quantity at this point

Spare Tire? Hummm... I don't think I can find it.
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2005, 09:07 PM

COOL Literally
Old 01-20-2005, 09:48 PM
Hummer Professional

wilfred is off the scale

I also have the rear tire carrier in the back, i think it's made by sma. the dealer installed it when new so i thought it was the original one the whole time until one day i was washing the rig and saw a little "SMA" label on the bottom of the vinyl cover i like the looks of it but like others have said, it gets old everytime i want to open the back and i have to swing wide open the carrier first. Also, i have to grease that "t" bar or else it gets very difficult/sometimes impossible to open. Now i get grease all over myself every now and then Yeah, i've seen the new ones with the latches but i am really thinking about getting the gobi racks and have the spare up in the roof instead.

My only concern is how heavy does the stock wheel & tire weights? Has anyone actually weight one before? I am sure for some lifting it is no problem but i am not exactly the physically fit type
Old 01-20-2005, 10:29 PM
Hummer Veteran

rifle is off the scale

I carry mine all the time on a SMA carrier. Yes it is a pain to swing that thing open all the time but I will put up with it for the security of having a spare. I would love to put it on the roof but my garage won't allow the fit. The big pain is parking on a side slope where the carrier wants to swing back closed. Like having a gun: "Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."
Old 01-21-2005, 08:39 AM
Hummer Veteran

intimidator is off the scale

the tire and wheel are 95lbs.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:37 AM
Hummer Authority

devilsfan is an unknown quantity at this point

The weight of the tire and wheel are not bad. I've gotten mine in and out of my truck several times. It's just very awkward - there's really no place to get a secure grip. Which really sucks if your hands slip and you're on a sloped driveway.

Stacy
Old 01-21-2005, 05:15 PM
Hummer Professional

wilfred is off the scale

So you mean your rig actually fits in your garage I've tried folding down those roof lights and it still won't fit. And my rig is absoutely stock height wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rifle:
I carry mine all the time on a SMA carrier. Yes it is a pain to swing that thing open all the time but I will put up with it for the security of having a spare. I would love to put it on the roof but my garage won't allow the fit. The big pain is parking on a side slope where the carrier wants to swing back closed. Like having a gun: "Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 01-21-2005, 05:24 PM
Hummer Professional

wilfred is off the scale

Thanks intimidator, i thought it was much more than that by looking at it. I think 2 person can handle it easily.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by intimidator:
the tire and wheel are 95lbs. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 01-21-2005, 05:25 PM

Call a house mover and have them jack the house up higher Mine fits in the garage too.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:26 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DennisAJC:
Doug,

I have the SMA carrier and it seems to work OK. I also have a Gobi but my wifey likes the SMA look better. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dennis...what light bar do you have there and do you like it?
Old 01-21-2005, 05:39 PM
Hummer Professional

wilfred is off the scale

Good point, no grip huh... i wasn't sure if i should get the ladder or not but i guess you've just helped me decided

Speaking of sloped driveway, does anyone has problem with their front doors not able to hold it's own weight? On mine, even at a very slight incline, the doors will come right back at you if i don't hold on to it. Just like how rifle was saying about parking on a side slope and the carrier wants to swing back closed. I've tried 3 dealerships and none were able to fix this They've replaced the this black sliding bar thingy twice and tightened whatever chinga ling ding in the doors but still the same. The rear doors are fine, just the front driver & passenger door

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by devilsfan:
The weight of the tire and wheel are not bad. I've gotten mine in and out of my truck several times. It's just very awkward - there's really no place to get a secure grip. Which really sucks if your hands slip and you're on a sloped driveway.

Stacy <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>