H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 07-20-2006, 08:22 PM
Hummer Authority

tomp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Water Wetter

While you guys are right if there are overheating problems, this is not the case for my rig which operates right around 195 degrees F and I am in Texas heat.

(I have tires same as stock etc...)

It does not get any hotter when towing boat or RV.

I am pretty sure that if I did something to lower the temps by 10 degrees that the thermostat would close at that point.

My tranny on the other hand, seems to get hot. Temps climb on my tranny when towing or just when facing high winds. I intend on adding one of those PML tranny pans with extra fluid capacity first to see if that helps.

The first two things I would try if I was having minor engine heat issues (and everything was working), is syn oil and water wetter. Syn oil dropped the temps on my air cooled Harley by 20 degrees.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:01 PM
Hummer Expert

Beastmaster is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomp
Your thermostat is ultimately going to determine the temps.

As Paragon said - not really.

The thermostat will open roughly at a pre-set temp, but once it's open, it stays open. And once it's open, if the heat continues to go up, the thermostats have nothing to do with it.

So - if the thermostat is set for 180 degrees, they will open and stay open, even if the coolant is boiling out and it's at 280 degrees.

Also - Messing with the thermostats is not something that is recommended in today's strange emission controlled vehicles.

The vehicle has to get up to the optimium operating temp in as fast as possible to reduce greenhouse gases. The thermostats are designed to help with that.

The issue really at hand is how well the vehicle cooling system transfers heat away from the coolant to the open air. I have some doubts about that in an arid desert environment combined with the H3 design.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:38 PM
Hummer Authority

tomp is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay, I give in. I must be a mongoloid or similar
Old 07-20-2006, 10:30 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastmaster
As Paragon said - not really.

The thermostat will open roughly at a pre-set temp, but once it's open, it stays open. And once it's open, if the heat continues to go up, the thermostats have nothing to do with it.

So - if the thermostat is set for 180 degrees, they will open and stay open, even if the coolant is boiling out and it's at 280 degrees.

Also - Messing with the thermostats is not something that is recommended in today's strange emission controlled vehicles.

The vehicle has to get up to the optimium operating temp in as fast as possible to reduce greenhouse gases. The thermostats are designed to help with that.

The issue really at hand is how well the vehicle cooling system transfers heat away from the coolant to the open air. I have some doubts about that in an arid desert environment combined with the H3 design.
tstats are notoriously the restriction in the coolant flow in the cycle. All vehicles taken as a whole, needs them to do exactly what they do. Get the engine temps to a certain operating temp as quickly as possible then fuhgetabowdit.

But, in situations, like yours, where every little thing might matter, maybe removing the most restrictive part of the system would improve cooling. It's just like removing a pinch from a water hose. Of course, that's sort of a band aid fix.

There has to be a bigger reason.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:05 PM
Hummer Veteran

vip808 is off the scale

i don't know if this is true or not but a NAPA and Goodyear salesmen told me not to use (Purple Ice) a similar product because they said that the H2 needs to run hotter for the engine to work properly the way the manufacture intended. Since the two guys told me the same thing i just took their word for it.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:56 AM
Hummer Expert

MONSTERMATT is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by vip808
i don't know if this is true or not but a NAPA and Goodyear salesmen told me not to use (Purple Ice) a similar product because they said that the H2 needs to run hotter for the engine to work properly the way the manufacture intended. Since the two guys told me the same thing i just took their word for it.
wtf????
Old 04-10-2007, 05:04 PM
Hummer Professional

mdoyle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTERMATT
wtf????

That might seem like a mistake but is probably right, consider the internal clearances, tolerances, oil gallery flow paths, expansion rate for cylinder head to block interface, and any other number of factors will result in a design temperature point.

If you go adding a wiz-bang cooling system that makes the motor run 25?C cooler, you'll gain volumetric efficiency but could cause increased wear.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:36 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

I did not read everything below to see if this had been mentioned.

One of the main reasons a tstat is in a vehicle is to maintain a balance temp around all cylinders and primarily from front to back cylinders or vice versa depending on start and finish position of water flow. In the newer highly computerized rides this is an important factor in fuel/air mix by computer and also complete combustion in each cyl.

That being said the computer has a range that it in can operate in. If you are doing your own tuning then the cooling issue becomes more easily handled since you are monitoring each cyl. and can tell the computer what You are wanting it to mix in air/fuel. You also are able to handle combustion by even running cooler or hotter plugs in different cyl. and even use hotter firing coil packs on each cyl. and well many other things to get a balance of combustion on all cylinders.

Depending on use especially towing and adding more HP as well torque it is important to have all the cooling you can get. I would like to be able to maintain a 160 degree temp all the time which is not doable. From what input I can get this temp is as low an ambient that computer would like to have the coolant at that would still let computer manage fuel/air above and below. Again tuning yourself allows for more flexibility. I have 160 degree tstat as well as the throttle body water line bypassed and even in winter in middle of country I have yet to reach that low of an operating temp. My dual electric fans are set at lowest setting which is 180. In a hot lap type of run situation I could wire a bypass so the fans run all the time but, it is not recommended by the motor manufactuers to do it for a lengthy period as motors need to cycle to help cool them.

I know this is not likely needed to be mentioned but, equal temps result in more equal combustion at each cylinder. This hopefully gives us more power and equalized torque on the crank down the full length.

Hope this is helpful.

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges