H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 09-23-2006, 01:16 AM
Hummer Professional

H3PAC is on a distinguished road
Default Low Tire Pressure Message

We've had fairly cool mornings over the last couple of days and when I started my H3 yesterday I got a low tire pressure message. I visually inspected the tires and they appeared to be inflated properly. I drove about a mile and the idiot light and message went out. It happened again this morning. I checked the pressures and 3 tires were right at 35 and another was at 35.5. I drove away and like yesterday, the light and message went out about a mile down the road.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it likely a bad pressure transducer in one of the tires?

Old 09-23-2006, 01:22 AM
Hummer Veteran

Vandakeg is off the scale
Default Re: Low Tire Pressure Message

The exact same thing has been happening to me the past 3 days. I think I remember this being an issue awhile ago... although I don't know if there is a solution.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:57 AM
Banned

lotus4s is an unknown quantity at this point

Lots of discussion on this, do a search....

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...=tire+pressure

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16337&page=2&highlight=tire+press ure
Old 09-23-2006, 02:41 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3PAC
We've had fairly cool mornings over the last couple of days and when I started my H3 yesterday I got a low tire pressure message. I visually inspected the tires and they appeared to be inflated properly. I drove about a mile and the idiot light and message went out. It happened again this morning. I checked the pressures and 3 tires were right at 35 and another was at 35.5. I drove away and like yesterday, the light and message went out about a mile down the road.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it likely a bad pressure transducer in one of the tires?

When did you check the pressure, after the tires had been driven on? Tire pressure must be checked cold, that is no travel on the tires for at least four hours. Tires heat up as they are driven on, and 10 degrees increase in temp of the tire relates to one PSI increase in tire pressure. Normal driving can increase the tire pressure by 4 psi, and the larger the volume in the tire (such as the 285 versus the 265) the more a slight temp decrease can affect the pressure inside the tire.
It sounds like the systemis working properly if it comes on when first started, the goes off as the tires warmup. (Example, tire psi at startup 31 psi, drive one mile, raise it above 32 psi.)
A bad sensor would keep the message on all the time.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:06 AM
Hummer Professional

Thanks guys, I'll check those pressures again tomorrow morning. I'd check them now, but the wife absconded with my H3 and must be out on some sort of joy ride.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:38 AM
Hummer Veteran

Urban Ops is on a distinguished road

I was warned by my salesman when I took delivery of my rig that the TPM would do that in very cold conditions. And it did the first time I took it snowboarding. When I went to leave the resort I had a TPM warning. I walked around and the tires were fine. A few minutes later it went away. It was suggested I could put a couple extra pounds of air in the tires to prevent that. I don't think it that big a deal for me put some people might want to do that.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:15 AM
Hummer Professional

Well, the pressures this morning were 32.5, 32, 32 and 31. I'm surprised how low they were when cold. I thought I'd notice this visually, and didn't realize that the pressure would drop so dramatically with a moderate change in temperature. So the TPM is working just fine and doing what it's supposed to do: Reminding a horse's ass that he needs to check his cold tire pressure regularly. I brought them up to 35 psi and I'll be sure to check them again soon.

Old 09-24-2006, 08:20 AM
Hummer Veteran

Groundpounder is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem, "Check low tire presure". I returned it to the dealer and they fixed it. sem thay did not reset the computer when I had the tires rotated. No more warnings of low tire presure.
2006 Slate Blue Metallic H3, FlowMaster exhaust, True Flow cold air intake system, Ground Force rear lowering kit, custom locking fuel door, chrome hood grill w/handle, US Speedo gauge kit (chrome and red numbers), Custom rear tire cover, chrome tail light guard, custom paint on skid plate, new pin stripping, USMC front license plate. Semper Fi
Old 09-24-2006, 03:48 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpounder
I had the same problem, "Check low tire presure". I returned it to the dealer and they fixed it. sem thay did not reset the computer when I had the tires rotated. No more warnings of low tire presure.

If all five tires are rotated, the system has to learn the new sensor, and learn to disregard the old sensor. The sensor on the spare is not recognized.
So, after all five tires are rotated, you have to perform the sensor learning in the owner's manual, or if the dealer or the shop has the correct reed exciting tool, they can use that to learn the sensors to the BCM.
However, if you only rotate the four wheels on the ground, the system should not require relearn. This system does not recognize the corner the sensor is located; as in the system used on Vettes, Caddy's, etc. So, all the system looks for is four sensors with four unique electronic serial numbers (ID's). As long as those four ID's continue to send signals, the BCM is happy. Add in a new ID, and take out an ID with a five tire rotation, and the BCM needs to know the new ID is ok to recognize.
I have rotated the four tires on the ground twice, and replaced the two front tires once, and the system has never required recalibration.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:05 PM
Hummer Guru

wpage is on a distinguished road

F5 is right. When rotating all 5 tires you need to follow the sequence outlined in the owners manual. Roughly starting with a certain tire think it was the passenger front let out about 10 lbs of pressure till you hear a audible tone then inflate to desired psi. Move to next tire till complete...
(John 3:16)
2006 H3 Slate Blue,Header,Jacked,CAI,Toyo35's,HHO.
Priors...
Explorer
Commander
71 Vette
You Name it!