H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 05-08-2009, 11:02 PM
Hummer Veteran

KT2T is on a distinguished road
Default not an H2 owner... yet

Hey guys, just joined what looks like a GREAT forum for Hummer owners and enthusiasts. I have not pulled the trigger on purchase yet, but have decided I *do* want the H2. The only real question I am agonizing over is which year and what options.

First question is which year. My family and I like to go on trips with our 30' travel trailer, so towing capacity is somewhat of a concern and thus has me torn between a 2007, which would be slightly more affordable, and a 2008 which has significantly higher (spec) towing capacity. Are there other options that the 2008 has underneath that would make it preferred over the 2007 when it comes to towing or other non-paved pursuits?

Second is options. I am pretty new to absorbing H2 culture and aftermarket tweaks, so the newbie question here is whether trying to find a slightly used H2 with all of my desires on-board is worth the wait until one becomes available, or would an almost-perfect H2 be suitable for now with options that could be added later. The options I am referring to are the air suspension package mostly. Bottom line, if you were looking to buy a H2 today, what must-have factory options would you demand and what options would you forgive, knowing that you could add-on later?

I am sure that we will have many conversations going forward. I am the new guy and have a lot to learn, so I may just be lurking for a while until I can say something worthwhile and not waste your time.

Thanks guys.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:34 AM
Hummer Veteran

dvl57 is on a distinguished road
Default 08 H2 owner

I searched for 3 months before I found my perfect H2.

I definitely wanted a 08 or a 09 because of the newer interior - as well as bigger engine.

The main option was the navigation...because we all may say we don't need it, but those times when you do...you truly appreciate the fact that you got it.

I have the Lux package w/air suspension...however, I think the air shocks will probably fail in the long run...from other member's experience.

Take your time searching (after narrowing down your essentials)- there are deals to be had if you take your time.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Hummer Expert

HummerMann is on a distinguished road
Default Re: not an H2 owner... yet

I've got an '06, I bought new and have been very happy with it and had an 03 too. I have the air suspension, and it is doing fine and I love it - so far no problems. I also have the factory nav which I like and have found people having electrical problems with some aftermarket navs.
As for '08 and newer vs '07 and older, I like the power of the newer ones, but they also like premium gas. Also, the 08 and newer 6.2s have less torque below 2500 rpm than the 6.0s which might be a towing factor to you. I think the seats are more comfortable in the '07 and older, but I like the dash on the 08 and newer and padded center console. If you use the back seats and get an SUT they took out the back seat variable air ducts on the '08 and newer. Do the aftermarket wheels and tires yourself. I loved the gobi rack I had on our '03, but it would never fit in the garage after that. Personal observation is that 06 and 07 have less electrical problems than 05 and older.

Hummer, like nothing else

Last edited by HummerMann : 05-09-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks for the replies guys. I have been looking for about two months now, and I think I have just found "The One", except for one thing. The colors. It is black with black leather. Ugh. At the top of my list of things to avoid is black or white paint. However, I am now wondering if I can swallow this pill just to get the rest of the package. I am not kidding, this machine is *perfect* for me except for the paint and leather. Gah.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:17 AM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

I like the big 6.2 engine and it will give you more power for towing. I don't consider running premium gasoline that big of a deal unless you drive lots of miles. I have to agree with Hummer Mann about the seats though, I think the 2007 and earlier seats are a little softer and wider. If it was me, it would be condition, history, year and color in that order in considering another Hummer
Old 06-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Hummer Veteran

Well guys, I did it. I lost the opportunity to pick up the black/black 2008 that had caught my eye, but in the end it was for the better. I subsequently found a 2008 graystone/black with the two factory options that I really wanted -- navigation and air suspension. It also has DVD in the ceiling, which is OK but I really would have liked the older style of DVD in the headrests. No biggie.

Here's the thing. This is the first vehicle I have bought online without a test drive or anything, so I am a little nervous, but it's crazy how hard it's been to find exactly what I wanted so I had to jump on it. I am currently awaiting enclosed transport of the vehicle from Seattle, WA to Lakeland, FL (~3200 miles), so once it gets here I will post some pics. I actually do have some pics from the dealership but they aren't good enough to post here, so I won't waste the storage on them.

Thanks again for your guidance fellas. By the way, my H2 has no brush guard or step bars, and while I could go without the step bars, I have received a directive that I will be installing them. So, this leads me to ask where you guys look for aftermarket options such as these? I am not really that keen on chrome.

Thanks.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:11 AM
Hummer Veteran

dvl57 is on a distinguished road
Default Side Steps or Brush guards

try ebay or craigslist for your best bet in search of these accessories.

I wasn't keen on the chrome bar steps either, but after researching it and getting feedback from service advisors (@ Hummer dealer), I decided to keep the chrome bar steps vs. purchasing the black metal U-steps.

Congrats on the purchase.

I know exactly how you're feeling ...w/the anxiety of not knowing 100% of your purchase.

Did you get a CarFax report?
what about an independant inspection from a 3rd party?

I did both before purchasing the truck unseen...(other than a few pics)

Anyways, I'm sure the enclosed transport is going to be a tight fit....given the size of the H2.

My brother's brand new X5 came via FedEx Passport (enclosed trailer back in May ) and the driver had a hard time getting it in and out. Definitely inspect the truck when you meet the driver to ensure nothing got scratched or dinged.

The little things in the sale up to the point where you get the truck will definitely keep you up at night.

I'm sure things will work out nicely.

Cheers.

Don

2008 H2
Billy Boat Exhaust
Old 06-17-2009, 06:03 AM
Hummer Veteran

Vark is on a distinguished road

you got PM. I hope you got the car by now.