H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 09-13-2010, 08:12 PM
Hummer Expert

Hellz is on a distinguished road
Default which control arms do you use/recommend?

so thinking the next step in beefing up the front end should be the control arms

Cognito

http://cognitomotorsports.com/store/page15.html
or
http://cognitomotorsports.com/store/page141.html

for the lower control arm, im not seeing alot out there for aftermarket, just the standard OEM replacement stuff.

so your thoughts?

current mods ont he truck already
03 H2
fabtech HD tierods
Rancho Steering Stablizer
new bearing hubs
Old 09-13-2010, 09:51 PM
Hummer Authority

guruerror is on a distinguished road
Default Re: which control arms do you use/recommend?

If I remember correctly from my discussions with Cognito (when I was trying to make the exact same decision) the Uniball Upper Control Arms (UCAK100044) are not recommended for environments where there could be exposure to a lot of salt. They explained that the uniball is not protected by any type of grommet so the parts would wear faster if exposed to salty air (near the shore) or salt/calcium used to salt the roads in heavy snow areas.

I went with the Upper Control Arm Kit (UCAK100001)...they said this provided a more protected setup that would not be as open to damage from the environment. I also included their Pitman Idler Support Kit, tie-rods, Idler Pivot Assembly with Weld in Gusset, and Billstein shocks. Been running that setup for a year or more now...no problems. My truck is leveled using this kit and actually rides much better then when I simply had the torsion bars cranked with the Truxx keys.

Last edited by guruerror : 09-13-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:37 AM
Hummer Veteran

lx4life is on a distinguished road

so with the cognito it raised the fornt to level it out? do think if you add that plus crank the oem torison you could get a total of 3-4 in lift in the front?
Old 09-14-2010, 06:12 AM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruerror
If I remember correctly from my discussions with Cognito (when I was trying to make the exact same decision) the Uniball Upper Control Arms (UCAK100044) are not recommended for environments where there could be exposure to a lot of salt. They explained that the uniball is not protected by any type of grommet so the parts would wear faster if exposed to salty air (near the shore) or salt/calcium used to salt the roads in heavy snow areas.

I went with the Upper Control Arm Kit (UCAK100001)...they said this provided a more protected setup that would not be as open to damage from the environment. I also included their Pitman Idler Support Kit, tie-rods, Idler Pivot Assembly with Weld in Gusset, and Billstein shocks. Been running that setup for a year or more now...no problems. My truck is leveled using this kit and actually rides much better then when I simply had the torsion bars cranked with the Truxx keys.

looking at both items, it does make sense what you are talking about. the 044 is clearly more exposed than the 001 is. I live in minnesota, so we use crap loads of chemicals on the roads in the winter...but... what are the trade offs here?

maybe someone can chime in who is/has run both models?
which one is better?
is there any benefits/cons to either model?

the less stress i can take off the front end parts, the better. while the 001 seems logical, i guess im looking for more info. i would hate to drop $500 on the parts, just to find out the extra $$$ on the other model would have saved me alot time in the future if i wanted to upgrade/add or replace something that wears out.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:28 AM
Hummer Veteran

KT2T is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellz
i would hate to drop $500 on the parts, just to find out the extra $$$ on the other model would have saved me alot time in the future if i wanted to upgrade/add or replace something that wears out.

The uniball joints in the 044 arms are not replaceable, whereas the ball joints in the 001 are. Four bolts holding it to the underside of the UCA flange (assuming you are leveled, else instructions state to mount ball joint to top side of flange). I just installed the following last week on my 2008 SUV:

o UCAK100001 (Cognito - front end level kit)
o BILSTEIN-BE5-E381-T0 (Cognito - longer-than-stock shocks for use with UCAK100001)
o SBELKHD-1000 (Cognito - end-links for use with UCAK100001)
o PISK2008 (Cognito - pitman/idler support kit)
o Kryptonite tie rods from dmaxstore
o RS5407 (Rancho steering stabilzer)
o GM green keys (15592573)

Very happy thus far!

2000 HUMMER HMCS, kevlar flat black, Rubber Duck lift, Predator stage 3 kit, Predator (Wilwood) Big Brake kit, a work in progress...

2008 H2, graystone, air suspension (DELETED), U-steps, SMA brushguard w/valance (DRLs replaced by PIAA 520s), black taillight guards/locking fuel door/roof crossbars (x4), Cognito UCA/pitman-idler, Bilstein shocks, Rancho steering stabilizer, Kryptonite tie rods, green keys, Fuel D525 20" Revolver, 37" Nitto Ridge Grappler
Old 09-14-2010, 01:55 PM
Hummer Expert

when all said and done, how much lift did you get out of this?
Old 09-14-2010, 02:03 PM
Hummer Authority

guruerror is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellz
when all said and done, how much lift did you get out of this?
Regarding my set-up, which is almost the same as KT2T's...I don't remember exactly how many inches that gave me, but it was enough to level the front with the back.

I had the dealer do all the work and they took their measurements using the rocker bar as a guide. They tweaked the torsion bars until the measurement at the the front of the rocker bar (just behind the front wheel) was the same as the rear of the rocker (just in front of the rear wheel).
Old 09-14-2010, 05:18 PM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruerror
Regarding my set-up, which is almost the same as KT2T's...I don't remember exactly how many inches that gave me, but it was enough to level the front with the back.

I had the dealer do all the work and they took their measurements using the rocker bar as a guide. They tweaked the torsion bars until the measurement at the the front of the rocker bar (just behind the front wheel) was the same as the rear of the rocker (just in front of the rear wheel).

well i decided on going with the UCAK100001 model.
i will prolly pick up replacement shocks at the same time, i just want to make sure i pick the right parts the first time.

for Shocks i am looking at BILSTEIN BE5-E381-T0..

right now i am just waiting on Cognito to fix thier network issues. been trying to call them now for a few hours....

Update...

1 x Cognito Chevy 8 Lug & Hummer H2 2" - 3" Leveling System
- Option: Bilstein Front Shocks - pair (BE5-6140-T5) $630.00

from Trailduty... lets hope it gets here by Friday.. doubtful.. but who knows!

Last edited by Hellz : 09-14-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:54 PM
Hummer Veteran

Hellz, just FYI that I also ordered my Cognito leveling kit from Trail Duty and chose the optional BE5-6140-T5, even though Cognito offers the BE5-E381-T0. Well, when the boxes arrived via UPS, I actually received the BE5-E381-T0, not the BE5-6140-T5 indicated on the order form, so you should also.

Here is a pic of me holding the OEM tie rod alongside the installed Kryptonite tie rod. It's massive.
Attached Images

2000 HUMMER HMCS, kevlar flat black, Rubber Duck lift, Predator stage 3 kit, Predator (Wilwood) Big Brake kit, a work in progress...

2008 H2, graystone, air suspension (DELETED), U-steps, SMA brushguard w/valance (DRLs replaced by PIAA 520s), black taillight guards/locking fuel door/roof crossbars (x4), Cognito UCA/pitman-idler, Bilstein shocks, Rancho steering stabilizer, Kryptonite tie rods, green keys, Fuel D525 20" Revolver, 37" Nitto Ridge Grappler
Old 09-14-2010, 07:24 PM
Hummer Expert

im not too smart about the different model of the shocks..is the one they sent a better one? allow more travel or ???
would the model that was on the invoice be better?

im rolling witht he Fabtech HD tierods on my rig ( already installed)

i notice you have the extended sway bar links... was it a must for you with your tierods? or did you just add it?

with the FT rods, i have no clearance issues, but if there is good reason, i might as well take care of it while im down there!

Last edited by Hellz : 09-14-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:37 PM
Hummer Veteran

I have no better insight than you into the model distinctions of the shock absorbers, just noting the discrepancy between what was ordered and what was delivered. I am actually happy that I received the exact shocks that Cognito themselves offer with the leveling kit. They fit nice and look even nicer (for now, anyway... talk to me after Windrock!).

Regarding the sway bar end links, I didn't even try the tie rods with the stock links, so don't know if there would be clearance issues. In fact, the tie rods were the last pieces I installed before buttoning everything up and taking her for an alignment. I just bought the Cognito links because they weren't very expensive and are suited to the leveling kit. No regrets.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:00 AM
Hummer Expert

splne1 is on a distinguished road

Whoa does that Cognito already come with the dual shock set up like that on it?? Hmm might look into a set myself considering that I been thinking about dual fox shocks!!
Old 09-15-2010, 04:08 AM
Hummer Expert

it comes with the lower part setup for dual shocks, but you need to purchase the hoop for top mounting

http://cognitomotorsports.com/store/page14.html
Old 10-12-2010, 09:45 PM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT2T
o SBELKHD-1000 (Cognito - end-links for use with UCAK100001)

did you get the stock height one for the sway bar end links?
or did you go to the 4 to 6 inch lift one?

also, did you leave the T bars stock, cranked, or lowered?

i had my T bars cranked up, not maxed out, but somewhat close. i lowered them when i put in the new UCA, and regretting it since. now i have to correct them all over again to level it out better. will prolly return it back to where i had it.

i did get the Bilstein Front Shocks ( dont remember the model # tho) and im not too impressed. i liked the firmness the stock shocks gave me ( i know it was because they were maxed out tho) these ones seem too mushy, and bouncy.. so they might end up in the classifieds before too long.

only had them on for about 1.5 weeks... worst case, i move up to the dual shock hoop... ouch.. my wallet..

Last edited by Hellz : 10-12-2010 at 09:52 PM.