H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 08-09-2008, 09:02 PM
Hummer Veteran

Gunzz is off the scale
Default Differential vent.

Have a question that maybe one of you guys could help me with.

The other day I travelled about 40 miles on the highway in my 05 H2. Highway speeds never over 65 and outside temp was around 80 degrees. After getting at my destination I noticed some fresh oil splashed inside the drivers side front wheel well. It was also on the frame at this spot and on top of the shock mount. Nothing else wet and this was not here the day earlier because I just cleaned under the hood and all the wheel wells.

Thinking maybe a brake line was leaking I checked all around and could not really find anything obvious. The only thing I did find was a light amount of this fluid under the hood, directly under the brake cylinder, booster pump. I did see what appeared to me to be a front differential vent tube directly under the master cylinder, and it appeared a little wet. However the vent cap was in place.

Believing it to be the vent burping differential fluid I drove home the same 40 miles. Next day I observed that there was more fluid spray under the wheel well and frame. A check under the hood this time revealed a very small spray of fluid under the booster pump for the brakes. Thinking that I had a leak in this pump I went directly to the dealer who stated that the pump was leaking. Warranty thankfully.

So now here is where my mind is trying to figure out what is going on. When I picked the truck up the next day they had repleced the booster pump, but also they put a new cap on the differential vent as per what they say was a tech service bulletin. They said that it has happened that the vent does burp out spray once in a while and this is what the factory bulletin recommends they do. It looks like a fuel filter stuck in the end of this vent.

Well I am happy with the service and everything is ok but I am trying to figure what happened. I have included two pictures of what the vent cap looks like. So here are my questions

1. Does anyone know of a TSB covering this problem?
2. What would cause the differential to spray fluid out of the vent?
Truck has never been submerged so no water in differential being the trouble, and vehicle has 40,000 miles on it. Could the fluid be foaming and in need of replacement?

Sorry so long but I wanted to get real advice from people who have been there. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8090012 (Small).JPG (40.1 KB, 449 views)
File Type: jpg P8090013 (Medium).JPG (61.1 KB, 447 views)

Last edited by Gunzz : 08-09-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:02 PM
Hummer Novice

rxdi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Differential vent.

I just went through same thing on my 05. It didn't start till I jumped it a couple feet in the air. They replaced the vent first, but still was getting oil so they replaced the brake booster and everythings fine now. execpt the brake fluid ate the paint off my frame. They did cover it under my extended warranty.