H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 01-08-2006, 11:51 PM
Hummer Authority

Alan06SUT is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a loaner h3 for the day when my h2 was getting serviced. I liked it overall but I a few things struck me as oversites by GM.

1. The arm rest controls are too far back to reach the rear window controls. It even felt akward to get the front windows down.

2. When you punch the throttle, it makes a lot of noise and jerks you around. I thought it had enough power, just not a smooth trip to highway speeds.

3. It was rainig outside and when I got out of the truck there was mud all over the doors. Maybe could use some flaps? ( only drove on pavement and gravel)

I liked:

1: The cargo space and rear seat config.

2. big tires

3. Locker

4. Styling and rugged pupose built feel.

How is the 5 spped? I bet that would make that engine feel better.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:51 PM
Hummer Authority

I had a loaner h3 for the day when my h2 was getting serviced. I liked it overall but I a few things struck me as oversites by GM.

1. The arm rest controls are too far back to reach the rear window controls. It even felt akward to get the front windows down.

2. When you punch the throttle, it makes a lot of noise and jerks you around. I thought it had enough power, just not a smooth trip to highway speeds.

3. It was rainig outside and when I got out of the truck there was mud all over the doors. Maybe could use some flaps? ( only drove on pavement and gravel)

I liked:

1: The cargo space and rear seat config.

2. big tires

3. Locker

4. Styling and rugged pupose built feel.

How is the 5 spped? I bet that would make that engine feel better.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:58 PM

Grandman is off the scale

The window controls are less then handy i agree .

I have the 4:56 gears and an auto trans , i dont notice this jerky feeling you mention .
Old 01-09-2006, 12:07 AM
Hummer Authority

wannabeH3 is an unknown quantity at this point

i notice there is a jerk or almost liek the rear end slipping when you are coming to a stop then hit the gas again... try it tell me what happenes
Old 01-10-2006, 08:21 PM
Hummer Professional

H3HUMVEE is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

How is the 5 spped? I bet that would make that engine feel better. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the 5 speed, between 3rd 4th and 5th gear it will really "scoot" if you get your foot into it ... what I don't like is low ratio 1st and 2nd gear it barly moves in 1st and when you start from a stop you move like three feet before your at 2500 + RPM and shifting into 2nd from 2nd to 3rd is not much better you really don't get rolling till your in 3rd. of course off road that "granny" 1st gear is nice.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:20 PM
Hummer Professional

nmikes is off the scale

what happens if you just skipped first and started from the line in 2nd? Used to skip gears with my camaro all the time. I sorta wished I'd have held out for a manual... they just didn't have any on the lot with the options I wanted. Have you ever missed having the stabilitrak?
Old 01-10-2006, 09:26 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H3HUMVEE:
... what I don't like is low ratio 1st and 2nd gear it barly moves in 1st and when you start from a stop you move like three feet before your at 2500 + RPM and shifting into 2nd from 2nd to 3rd is not much better you really don't get rolling till your in 3rd. of course off road that "granny" 1st gear is nice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uhmmmmm... it's supposed to be that way. Why would you engage low when on the street unless you needed to negotiate an obstacle?
Old 01-10-2006, 09:49 PM
Hummer Professional

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nmikes:
what happens if you just skipped first and started from the line in 2nd? Used to skip gears with my camaro all the time. I sorta wished I'd have held out for a manual... they just didn't have any on the lot with the options I wanted. Have you ever missed having the stabilitrak? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do start off in 2nd gear frequently unless I'm on an incline ... I got lucky with mine, I called our HUMMER dealer and told them I wanted the H3 in yellow with the 5 speed manual ... they had one H3 in stock .. and it was yellow with the 5 speed I'm not really sure what the differences are between traction control which mine has, and the stabilitrak.. I have driven in some snow and ice and it really "sticks" to the road.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:50 PM
Hummer Professional

Uhmmmmm... it's supposed to be that way. Why would you engage low when on the street unless you needed to negotiate an obstacle?[/quote]

I'm not driving it in low range ... just 4H
Old 01-10-2006, 10:34 PM
Hummer Authority

I'm suprised it will start in second (weight of vehicle vs torque). I think it kicks arse that they offer the manual though. IMO its just more fun and with a smaller engine, the extra gear must help out. I bet you could get better mileage also.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:10 AM

trading13 is off the scale

I love the manual, no real complaints, its alot of fun to drive. I do catch myself trying to put it in 6th occasionally though, even though there isnt a 6th. I take off in 2nd out of habit.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:55 AM
Hummer Authority

sounds like what I do in my 72 vette 4sp! I am always hunting for fifth especially after driving my brothers camaro w/ 6spd. I love that 6 spd w/ hurst shifter. But, the old muncie 4sp has such perfect ratios up to 1:1. Who makes the h3 manual tranny?
Old 01-11-2006, 08:33 PM
Hummer Professional

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alan06SUT:
I'm suprised it will start in second (weight of vehicle vs torque). I think it kicks arse that they offer the manual though. IMO its just more fun and with a smaller engine, the extra gear must help out. I bet you could get better mileage also. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is fun to drive although it can be a pain in heavy traffic, the best part is the 21 mpg
Old 01-11-2006, 08:38 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DRTYFN:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H3HUMVEE:
... what I don't like is low ratio 1st and 2nd gear it barly moves in 1st and when you start from a stop you move like three feet before your at 2500 + RPM and shifting into 2nd from 2nd to 3rd is not much better you really don't get rolling till your in 3rd. of course off road that "granny" 1st gear is nice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uhmmmmm... it's supposed to be that way. Why would you engage low when on the street unless you needed to negotiate an obstacle? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Speed bumps. Duh!
Old 01-11-2006, 09:07 PM
Hummer Professional

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DRTYFN:

Uhmmmmm... it's supposed to be that way. Why would you engage low when on the street unless you needed to negotiate an obstacle? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Speed bumps. Duh! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

those new speed bumps around here are a bitch
Attached Images