H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 01-13-2008, 10:28 AM
Hummer Veteran

sanfoja is on a distinguished road
Default Which Exterior Spare Tire Carrier?

Okay, all you folks out there that have the Exterior Spare Tire Carrier on the back of your H2...which one is the best? Been looking at the one made by Husky...

http://www.suvsupply.com/catalog/hum...rrier47111.asp

Anybody have this one installed? If so, how do you like it, well-built, easy to open/close, rattle free??

Thanks!!
Joe
Huntsville, Alabama
2003 H2 Lux/Adventure, Burgundy, 37x12.5 MTRs on Matte Black Wheels, Smoked Cab/Running Lights, 07 Mirrors, Jet Stage 1 Chip, Volant CF CAI, AirRaid Intake Tube, Bi-Xenon HID, DRL mod w/diode, 2006 TNR, Matte Black Linex on Grilles & Front/Rear Bumpers, Ram Offroad Brush Guard, Rancho 9000 Remote Adj shocks, Rancho 5000 Strg Stab, FFD Ultra Extreme Electric Fans, Moog Pitman/Idler w/Cognito Support Kit, Kryptonite Tie Rods
Old 01-13-2008, 04:48 PM
Hummer Guru

Adam in CO is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Which Exterior Spare Tire Carrier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfoja
Okay, all you folks out there that have the Exterior Spare Tire Carrier on the back of your H2...which one is the best? Been looking at the one made by Husky...

http://www.suvsupply.com/catalog/hum...rrier47111.asp

Anybody have this one installed? If so, how do you like it, well-built, easy to open/close, rattle free??

Thanks!!
Joe
Huntsville, Alabama

I don't think one exists. I had a couple different ones and they sucked. Eventually, they seized and died. It also made the rear a PITA to access. I would leave it inside or get it on the roof.

Not that you really need it for normal driving anyway. Went 50k on my last BFG tires and only needed the spare once, on the trail, due to a bent rim and blown bead.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:23 PM
Hummer Authority

mikejr is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had the factory carrier on both my H2's and never a rattle. Seems fairly well made. I've never laid eyes on any aftermarket ones.

2008 H2 Lux Series, Slate Blue, everything but the air suspension - sold

2006 H2 Lux Series, Uplevel Chrome, DVD's, Slate Blue, Sun Roof - sold

"If Life Gives You Limes, Make Margaritas" - Jimmy Buffett
Old 01-13-2008, 09:53 PM
Hummer Guru

jmsspratlin is on a distinguished road

Get a Gobi and put it on the roof. Like someone said above, the spare is obsolete for most driving and the carrier and the tire weigh quite a bit.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:58 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejr
I have had the factory carrier on both my H2's and never a rattle. Seems fairly well made. I've never laid eyes on any aftermarket ones.

Well, I will give you guys a review. I took a chance and ordered the one from Husky Liners. Got a really good deal and it seem to have all the right features and to be beefy enough (weighs 97 lbs.) Will be here tomorrow!

BTW, would love to have a Gobi and put it on the roof, but also want to be able to put it in the garage.

Thx,
2003 H2 Lux/Adventure, Burgundy, 37x12.5 MTRs on Matte Black Wheels, Smoked Cab/Running Lights, 07 Mirrors, Jet Stage 1 Chip, Volant CF CAI, AirRaid Intake Tube, Bi-Xenon HID, DRL mod w/diode, 2006 TNR, Matte Black Linex on Grilles & Front/Rear Bumpers, Ram Offroad Brush Guard, Rancho 9000 Remote Adj shocks, Rancho 5000 Strg Stab, FFD Ultra Extreme Electric Fans, Moog Pitman/Idler w/Cognito Support Kit, Kryptonite Tie Rods
Old 01-17-2008, 08:31 AM
Hummer Veteran

Just finished installing my new tire carrier, actually very nice and very easy to install, sucker weighs every bit of the 97 lbs they said it does. Bad for the UPS guy and then bad for me because UPS beat the crap out of the box. I went to the dispatch location to pick it up (signature required so would not leave it, jeez). The box was so bad I unpacked right there in the customer service center. The guy had dropped parts all the way from his truck to the front counter. Found all but 4 minor parts and stopped at Lowe's on the way home for the rest. BTW, ordered from Amazon.com for $573.18. Very simple unbolt of tow hooks, replace with longer bolts and carrier parts, align, torque, check alignment, put on tire, check alignment, final torque to 100 ft-lbs. Tag relocation even more simple just plug and play, did have to drill hole in bumper to feed wires through but kit included grommets for finished look. Very smooth operation, positive latch (with locking handle not a pin like some), rubber cushions should keep from rattling, kit also includes jack bracket (will install that tomorrow). Anyway, very nice product, well made, nice finish and operates smoothly. Pleased so far, hope it stays that way
Old 01-17-2008, 09:32 AM
Hummer Guru

frenzy1 is on a distinguished road

GOBI ROOFTOP CARRIER ALL THE WAY !

I have one and very happy with it and it looks great too !

MY TRUCK : NO !
MY DOG : MAYBE
MY WIFE : YES

Old 02-15-2008, 09:23 PM
Hummer Veteran

iccon is on a distinguished road

I manufacture 6061 Aluminum ones for $900.00 including delivered anywhere in North America except Alaska and Hawaii that would cost, if you want one just email me delivery about 2 weeks can be powder coated for addition cost $75.00 white , black, yellow, red,
iccon@canada.com